Next ol' iron..1945 Craftsman/Atlas shaper ***At Home***

Greg Cook

There's been a few threads about shapers/routers lately, and I've been wanting a shaper but the price is stiff! Surfing around craigslist for electric motors, and I found this...

Craftsman shaper manufactured by Atlas Press. Made about 1945. Table is 21" x 15".

View attachment 4995

Pics of the same shaper on Old Woodworking Tools site.

View attachment 4996

View attachment 4997

More pics of my shaper, fence, spindle, cutters. There is also a motor mount that is not shown.

All it needs is a motor and belt and it some cleaning and it's ready to go. I get it Friday for $75 delivered.

I'm starting to like these less expensive old tools. They're fun too.

Last edited:
I think you just passed me on this slippery slope. :rofl:

And you obviously have more tools to pick from there than we do. Better watch it, your going to go over your iron quota soon!

Jeff
Going to check the Craiglist again.

...................I'm starting to like these less expensive old tools. They're fun too.

Hey Jeff, we got another one! :thumb: :D

Next time someone bugs you about recycling, you just take them out to the workshop and school them on REAL recycling!! :thumb:

So.............. when do you break ground on the new workshop :D:D:D

LOL...actually, I've got to sell some stuff soon to make some room.. I'll probably get rid of my 20" Craftsman scroll saw (about 9 months old) and use my Delta.

Also, a small drill press, and a small craftsman bandsaw will free up 2 stands. I have the Atlas and SCT presses and a 12" Delta Bandsaw I got on craigslist.

Next to go will be my old Craftsman RAS since I have a newer, cast iron armed Delta...another craigslist score.

I need to pack up the 4" Rockwell jointer and put away. Next will be packing the Rockwell 9" table saw. These were my Dad's and will stay with me always.

After that, I have a small Craftsman router table that will be replaced with my Rockler table...and eventually a Norm style table/cabinet.

I put this stand together, along with a Rigid Herc-U-Lift mobile base, for the Walker-Turner Jointer. The small bandsaw and drill press are on the same stands, so I will replace them with the Delta scroll saw and the Atlas DP...and add Herc-U-Lift bases on them too. (I have 4 left from the huge sale HD had). The stands and lifts will hold up to 300lb.

So with selling some tools, packing up others, getting some on mobile stands...and cleaning up, I should have more room for some more iron!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

All I can say is WOW! Greg,
You are going to have one heck of a shop there when you are finished. :thumb:

DT

Way to go, Greg ! You're not only spotting the ads, but you're closing the deals. Craigslist just hasn't caught on yet in this part of the world :(

Here are all the current listings from the Tools section of Craigslist Halifax:

Blue Cotton Large Size Wiping Towels/ 50/Pack - $35

But I'm not envious of Greg - oh no indeedy! ;)

Picked-up the Shaper today and got it cleaned up a bit. All in all, I'm real happy. Only thing I need to get is a couple bolts/knobs, belt, a motor and It should work fine.

The shaper should last a long time, and be a good addition to my shop...for $75!

Last edited:
Very cool, and congrats, Greg. You old iron finds are all so clean and in good shape, there's not really a lot of restoration work to do. Bonus!

Vaughn,

Thanks... The shaper is in great shape...:doh:...but I did spend about an hour cleaning the top. Wire wheel on my drill than ROS with various discs. Finally a quick cleaning and a quick coat of paste wax for protection. The color is really shiney metal...not the yellowish in the pic.

I also squirted penetrating oil on the fence adjusting screw to break it loose...lots of old dry oil/sawdust. It works real smooth now, as does the table lowering/raising mechanism.

Greg,

In the future, just put a scotch pad on your ROS, the best way to clean a top, IMO. I've also done them with a scotch pad by hand, which also works fine, just requires more elbow grease.

I use TopSaver with a scotch pad, leaves the top nice.