Most expensive chunk of wood I've ever bought

Karl Brogger

8/4 Quarter sawn White Oak. About a $170 slice of wood.

182261_1721056197462_1570037517_31629244_2932950_n.jpg

182910_1721054717425_1570037517_31629235_2291534_n.jpg

Flippin' ridiculous for a stupid window stool.

Well Karl i think you got a good price by the standards of what i would have paid here for that. Looks to me like you paid around $7.28 per board ft and i would have had to pay $9.35 around here.

I know Larrys guy will be slightly cheaper.:eek:

What you gonna do with it. Seems to me i had to guess that is going to be a mantle piece.?;):dunno:

Seems to me i had to guess that is going to be a mantle piece.?;):dunno:

Window stool. A 74" window stool. A $350, 74" window stool.

The drop is useless unfortunetly.

(edit)- Another tragedy is I had to grind it down to 1-1/2" Had/has some really nice grain to it, even though I'm not a fan of white oak.

Last edited:
I get stuck with a Zebrawood plank somehow, 8/4, 12" x144" and have been carrying that thing around ever since. I have if whittled down a bit, but still way too much money sitting there.

I checked my source. 8/4 white oak select and better, single piece $6.43 bd ft. At my level, which I am sure I am in danger of losing, it $4.19 bd ft.

I don't know if you have a storage spot available Karl, but if you see trends that will let you buy material at quanity, that is a great place to make a few bucks. When I had the big shop and had the room I would buy full lifts of whatever was the trend at the time in the rough, bring it back to the shop and process it as needed.

I was buying 4/4 rough poplar, the good stuff from Southern Ill.,Kiln dried, having it skip planed to 15/16 for under a dollar a foot. I'd have to sort and process, but I kind of like doing that, and then sell it anywhere from $2.85 ft to matching the Borg prices for people I didn't like, about $5.75 a ft. Good money to be picked up there for the small operators like us.

I can't remember what I had in the Zebrawood plank, but at this point, I just don't want to know. It is just something that hangs out in my shop. Same as that 36" wide jatoba plank. I'm going to make that in to a desk some day........

Nice looking shop setup by the way Karl. You are one of those super organized guys that drive me nuts I see. I'll never show pictures of my shop, you'll laugh at me......

Last edited: