Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oil stains from vinly clamp pads

oil stains from vinly clamp pads

have others had this and how do you get rid of it and will it cause finish problems?
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I have had that Larry and stains from space balls. For me they sanded out and no ill effects when staining. You have seen that here first handed

Larry I have had the same thing happen to me. In my cases I have just done a light sanding and they went away, and so far have not caused me any problem with finishing I feel like it might be the polymers in the plastic that are causing this. I have noticed on some of my older clamps that the pads have hardened up on, the staining does not appear any longer for some reason. I have started using cork for clamp pads where I am concerned with the problem and so far I have had good results with that
    Chuck

well sanding on this part is not a simple task,, its pre made piece that has some irregularites in it that makes sanding a extended problem..tried washing it with Lacquer thinner and DNA hoping it would dissolve the stain and disappear has helped but could use more,, i think it will disappear with the finish

I've had it too, but can't remember what I did about it. Maybe you can cause one on a piece of scrap and then see what finish does over it, if you can't sand.

There was some actual response from Jorgensen on this at one point but, then they just dropped the conversation. My cheap-o replacement pads don't do it but, they also don't last like the Jorgies. The plastic dip that I have dipped many clamp ends into does not leave it either. I used to try MS, DNA, etc but sanding was all that really got rid of it. You are right that if it is really light, a darker colored finish will cover it. just try to avoid it whenever possible. Too bad they don't just correct the problem.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Hi Ya Larry

Any chance acetone would do the trick. I know you said DNA but i think they different solvents.

My guess is the stuff in the vinyl is oil based i was thinking perhaps the acetone would lift it.

Tom you know i always wondered about those space ball thingys. They made of rubber and over time certain rubber does degrade.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Hi Ya Larry

Any chance acetone would do the trick. I know you said DNA but i think they different solvents.

My guess is the stuff in the vinyl is oil based i was thinking perhaps the acetone would lift it.

Tom you know i always wondered about those space ball thingys. They made of rubber and over time certain rubber does degrade.
    on the space balls they just need some room is all and that was toms main problem he was to tight...but it did clear up..acetone might do it rob will try that i got most of it with lac thinner..

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    Larry, if that's my box you're working on, I want you to start over.
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

My Jorgensen clamps do this to me also. Kinda tee'd me off. I removed the pads and am going to use leather pads instead.

I've found it a real booger to try and get them out. The best success I've had is putting a mineral spirit (lightly) soaked rag on the spot for a while and then rubbing it out with the same rag. I figure an oil finish would probably hide it, but don't know about a water based product over the spot, if it would blend in or not.

My bessey clamps don't do this.

Brian
    That's not even a smile! That's just a bunch of teeth playing with my mind!