Thread: Shattered, Shattered, Shadoobie

Shattered, Shattered, Shadoobie

This hollowform ain't nothing to write home about but I thought the wood was kind of cool. It's English Walnut from a small crotch with three piths spaced almost perfectly around it. English Walnut has a lot of of sapwood so you have to get a pretty good sized piece to get into much of the dark heartwood. This wood wasn't very big so it's mostly the cream colored sapwood. I cut it a few years ago and didn't take care of it so it cracked pretty bad. I filled the cracks with some black permatex epoxy mixed with some key machine shavings. It's supposed to be a southwest style form, not sure if I got that or not. But the cracks made me think of the Rolling Stones lyrics for a name. Hollowed with the Nyvall super hollower using some carbide cutters I got for it. 8" x 4", 3 coats of AO and Beall buffed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails E Walnut SW HF 1.jpg   E Walnut SW HF 2.jpg   E Walnut SW HF 3.jpg   E Walnut SW HF 4.jpg  

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Well Curt i think it came out great. I love the way it cracked and the way you filled it.And your finishes are top notch.Can't get much better IMOP
    Steve

Hi,

I think it is beautiful. A person could live a long time with that sitting on the dining room table or on a desk or in a kitchen window.

Thanks for showing.

Enjoy,

Jim
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

Shattered, Shattered, Shadoobie

Nuthin ta write home about by butt I would not only write home about it,but to anyone else I could think of Those cracks really make it stand out,love it.
    May God Bless
    Ken

"This hollowform ain't nothing to write home about"

Curt just my view but you dont need to be telling youself this in my view. You got everything to write home about.

I think this is a really nice piece. I dont know if you have seen the semi precious stone "Tigers Eye"

Was a very popular stone at one time back in my part of the world.

Well this reminded me exactly of it except in wood and its a beauty of a stone in fashion or not same as your piece.
    cheers

Curt, that is a beautiful save. I have used the key cutting stuff before and liked the result. Yours really turned out cool.

Ha!!! you ol' rocker! Very nice job of keeping this one together Curt I'm not sure about the ring below the mouth...think the wood stands on it's own here and the form sure speaks well
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Great work on that piece of English Walnut!
    The cracks really add character.
    Well done.

Les
    Innovation is the process that renews something that already exists and not, as is commonly assumed, the introduction of something new.

Great work as usual, Curt.

Must be cracked wood season. Seems like every piece I'm turned lately has had cracks to deal with, too.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com