Any Self-publishers on here?

Jeff Horton

Anyone on here with any experience self-publishing? I am looking at companies and while it is a long shot, I thought someone might have done this and tell me about who they dealt with and what they thought. Good or Bad.

Last edited:
The term is changing. What used to be self-pub can take new forms.
Until now, I have resisted self-pub. But after several years and no success selling my novels to a traditional pub house, I yield.
I was in a writers group for years and know quite a few people who self-pub. They all have one thing in common, they hold up a book and claim to be 'published'. I don't call that being published.
Most common is to just pay somebody to print (publish) your book.
Another is to go with somebody like Publish America. They will publish your book and send you a $1.00 bill. You give up all rights but will see a book with your name on it.
I am about to 'publish' with Amazon Kindle and Amazon books. Kindle pays fairly well for each e-book sold and you keep your rights. Amazon books is a print-on-demand publisher. When someone buys they get a real book and you get paid the princely sum of 33 cents per copy. But you do keep your rights.
I'm not really answering your question.
The only experience I can share is second hand. They get a copy of their book with their name on it and all seem happy.

Let me know how you e-book works out. What I am working on doesn't strike me as a good e-book material (tons of illustrations and photos) but the more I read I am starting to think that may change in the next couple of years.

I have done A LOT of reading, aware of many pitfalls and how many of the companies are just trying to get you to buy services from them. Looking for a recommendation from someone that has used a company and happy with them. I basically need someone that can print for me and possibly do some distribution. But I will take care of most of that myself.

Jeff, yours will probably be more of a 'how to' book than what many self-pubs are. Those are usually autobiographies and some fiction.
There are tons of writers forums. I suggest you look at some of those for first hand info.
Keep in mind the publish for pay companies are called 'vanity' publishers for a reason. I believe your motives are more practical.

Jeff,

The real problems have traditionally been printing, marketing and distribution. But those have all been solved.

Many people are now doing things on Amazon's CreateSpace. https://www.createspace.com/Products/Book/;jsessionid=B656855EB389A535560AFE99C287EF17.cspworker00

As long as you do your own design and layout, you can do fairly well. In some cases, you get to keep 50% of total sales (check out your options on the royalty calculator).

You can also have them print them and ship them to you, for you to sell locally. One cool idea: make up a book to help sell kayaks. Kind of like a catalog. Have them print ten copies, and send them to you.

Or make up a book for each kayak, or each kind of kayak. Give them to customers (like you get a nice book/brochure when you buy a new car). Give each purchaser a few copies, so they can show them to their friends and family. And their fishing buddies! ;)

Might help sales quite a bit. I keep telling Vaughn he should do this with his bowls, but it would work real well for kayaks too... ;)

Thanks,

Bill