Any elevator people on here?

I was hired today to put an elevator in a house. Don't know a thing about it. So I have some research to do but was wondering if by some stroke of providence there was an elevator expert on here?

Probably about a one in 500,000 shot, and another 1 in a million that that person would read it, but there you have it.

The other Larry

Larry, I know a little bit about it.

My dad put an elevator in his 3 story weekend house. This is how it went.

A) He hired a contractor
B) The contractor hired the elevator people
C) The elevator people gave specs to the contractor.
D) The contractor had to get permission from the locals--it's some kind of gated community.
E) Then the contractor had to make some modifications to the roof line and to the lowest floor--I think a few feet had to be dug out.
D) The elevator people installed it.
E) It cost a fortune.

And that's all I know. I hope it helps.

You need to make some calls to companies that do this. I have oversaw the installation of a few and each type has it's own specs. for the shaft size, where the controls go and the access they need to work on them along with any ventilation for cooling the equipment. You will also need to get phone service to it.

And then there is the Elevator theory of traffic jams: If you didn't have elevators, you wouldn't have these multi story buildings (would you walk up 60 or 100 flights of stairs to go to work) everything would be more spread out instead of everyone trying to get down town at the same time. So next time you're stuck in traffic, blame Mr. Otis. Just a theory based on unscientific data. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You need to make some calls to companies that do this. I have oversaw the installation of a few and each type has it's own specs. for the shaft size, where the controls go and the access they need to work on them along with any ventilation for cooling the equipment. You will also need to get phone service to it.

Yes, I realize this, but I was hoping to draw from experiance and find out what companys for example are of good value, and what ones to avoid. I am also curious about vacuum tube elevators, but I have not ever seen one. I live in a rural area, and avoid citys like the plague, so not a lot of exposure to this. This will be a retro fit, and the customer is a long time loyal customer that want me to handle it.

Dover (now ThyssenKrupp), and Otis are the major players. My suggestion would be to find out who your elevator sub works with (or for) and go from there. The sub should be able to give you the heads-up about any unique requirements.

My brother-in-law's brother-in-law is a retired elevator guy. (He worked for Dover, then ThyssenKrupp.) From talking with him, it seems pretty much every elevator installation is custom in some way or another. Since it's a pretty specialized field, I'd think it would make sense to have the elevator people involved in specifying the requirements.

Well Larry the only ones I know of are the ones Vaughn mentioned. I can tell you from experience that if something isn't right they will not proceed with the job so make sure you ask alot of questions and right it all down. They usually have a written sheet of requirements that need to be met to use as a checklist. Every situation is different and depending on the location the elevator goes in will dictate the type of elevator you can install.

Larry, I have had a few elevators modernized in some high-rise buildings I managed, but never a completely new installation

As mentioned, + just a few.
OTIS (was the Cadillac of elevators)
Thyssen-Krupp (Formerly dover)
Schindler Elevator
Mitsubishi Elevator (about the highest class nowadays)
Kone Elevators

Depending on how many stories the house is you may go with a hydraulic unit instead of cable & hoist machine (with counterweights) Hydraulics need a deeper pit for the lift but the pump unit can be placed on ground level. A cable & hoist will need a pit under the cab, and a machine room above for all the lifting machinery and controllers. A hydraulic may be the best way for a house.

HTH

Aloha, Tony