New stuff

Jim Burr

Having just moved and not feeling like much of anything for other illness related matters, a friend of mine got me on the lathe again. First is a HF from some wood Vaughn tossed in my truck. It really did look totally different with the bark on, but this is what came out. I just finished taking the bottom off a minute ago and finishing it, but these pic's show it as it sits. I really felt like a strong piece should come out, so the more angular shape is something I liked. Some nice checking allowed me to "espresso-fill" the small cracks. I really think it added to the whole thing. 5x5 with 5 coats of Formby's tung oil.
Next is a first x3. First Claro walnut, first finial (no...I've never done one before) and first at an even 1/8"all around. There is no finish yet...infact the whole thing isn't done...just wanted to get it out there, just sanded to 600. Finial is Fresnoby...my wife's term for cherry colored with a Sharpie in Fresno!! She is so cool!!:rofl::rofl: I'm on tung oil kick so I think this one will get the same. Hope you guys/galls like em...C&C encouraged. :wave::wave:

Attachments

• HF8a.jpg
    HF8a.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 41
  • HF8b.jpg
    HF8b.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 38
  • HF8c.jpg
    HF8c.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 37
  • Clarohf.jpg
    Clarohf.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 39
Cool stuff Jim! :thumb: :thumb:

What kind of wood is the first piece made of? It looks like some of my sycamore ... just curious.

I really don't know Kerry. Vaughn will be able to offer some light on that. He always labels his blocks/blanks...good habit!! It turned like butter...in fact so much so...I had to stop and keep some size to it:eek:

Last edited:
Nice pieces, Jim! I like the claro piece and Im going to be going after the "finial finally" on a piece Im working on. Nice finish on both, and an interesting form on the 1st. Looks like it works from here!:thumb:
Glad to "see" you doing fun stuff in the middle of the med stuff.:D
mj

He always labels his blocks/blanks...good habit!...

Ha! You must have seen one of the few I've labeled. :p That's some sycamore from the next-door neighbor. Sorry it was checked like that...I'm running into a bunch of that myself lately. You made a pretty nice silk purse out of the sow's ear, nonetheless. :thumb: And the little walnut piece looks sweet, too. The finial looks good for a first shot out of the canon. :clap:

Glad to see you're getting in some turning time. :thumb: