Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New router question

Question New router question

I need a little help please. I just bought a PC4216 Dovetail jig and of course my old Craftsman router now needs replacing. What is a good router to buy? Do I need a plunge router or fixed base? I have read tons of reviews and am totally confused. I'm told I should get a variable speed, I would like to use this to learn inlays as well as use it for general carpentry use. Bosh 1617evspk seems to have good reviews and Wood Magazine says the Craftsman 17543 combo does well but I read reviews saying the settings dont stay put. The Craftsman combo is on sale for 79.00, seems awful cheap? Thanks for any help and I hope I posted this correctly.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Sayer, welcome to the forum. You post might get more answers if it were a seperate thread. I can move it if youd like .
    In answer to your question, I have the Milwaukii 5615 it is a combo kit and you can get it for 99 on Amazon most of the time. It is a great unit.
    "Thereís a lot of work being done today that doesnít have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesnít have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

which router to buy?

Thanks Don., I will look into the Milwauki..Please move this post to the correct place, i'm still learning how to move around the site. Thanks for your help.

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    Welcome to the forum!

I have the same router Don has. It's a great router. and it got great reviews.
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

Welcome Sayer!
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

I have a few different brands of routers. The Milwaukees are my go-to machines. The 5616 (2-1/4HP) has enough steam to do most jobs. The 5615 (1-3/4HP) is a bit lighter and I use it for all but the toughest jig work. The motors are interchangeable amongst bases and I have plunge and fixed for both. This comes in handy for task specific bases; just pop in the motor that has the power you need.

5615 - fixed speed, no soft start (although the start is pretty soft anyway)
    5616 - variable speed with soft start and electronic feedback

Both have the body grip fixed base and the plunge base is smoother than many dedicated plunge machines. Everyone seems to have a favorite router brand/format as they are fairly personal tools. Of all my routers 5 are Milwaukees.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

I have a Ridgid and no complaints here. Comes with a fixed and plunge base. Variable speed. Can't recall all the specs. I am sitting at the airport or I would look. I am happy with it. Price is right also.

Thanks for the replies, this helps to narrow it down a bit. I have not bought a router in a long time and there are so many to choose from. Thanks

I have an ancient, fixed base, single speed PC I inherited. Works fine and has seen much use.
    But, I wanted a plunger and checked WW magazine reviews.
    They gave top marks to the Skil 1820. It was rated as easiest to use and best ergonomics. I found one on eBay and bought for $25.00, including shipping.
    Current versions are about $100.00 at the BORGs.
    I know they are not designed for constant heavy duty use. But, I figure, even at $100.00 if it lasts five years you can toss and get another.
    So far, mine is going strong after more than five years. I think it will outlive me.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Just a thought, if you are going to use a PC jig and PC router bushings are kind of a industry standard, I would kind of lean toward a PC router. I think most brands sell adapters so you can use PC bushing. PC are good routers.