Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Work of Art.. B.Shiverdecker style

Delton, Michigan

Work of Art.. B.Shiverdecker style

well some time back rennie made delivery to bruce for me of a small slab and i stray piece i had aswell.. well for those of you who dont know bruce's motto.. its you will always get a piece of what you send him back well this time i got almost all of it this is one huge platter,, he wil have to tell us the story and what finish and such.. but he does seem to be gettun forgetful.. he didnt sign it.. so maybe i can drop by on my way back from texas in few weeks and have him finish the job this almost 20" wide and is approx.2" that wil hold alot of candy or cookies thanks bruce for the wonderful gesture...
    Attachment 54425 Attachment 54426 Attachment 54427
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

ABQ NM
    That's awesome. Huge, too. I like the fact that he was able to keep a couple pieces of bark on it.

Maybe he sent it to you because he just didn't have room to display it at his house.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

Los Angeles, CA

That piece of chocolate can hold a lot of chocolate chips cookies.
    Chinese Proverb: Man who eats many prunes gets good run for the money.

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    Good for you, Larry. I'm sure he knew that a little tiny plate for one cookie wouldn't do you......
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

Plainwell, Michigan
    COOKIE PLATE are the spiny type trying to bribe you Larry

Sweet platter Bruce you made good use out of some sweet chocolate I'll have to see that in person next time I am over Larry

Constantine, MI
    It didn't look anything like that when I dropped it off!
    Attachment 54428
    Great work and a super gesture!
    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk

It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

Goodland, Kansas
    Larry that would do right nice with a few chocolate chip cookies and a glass of milk on it watching TV. See what you could do with a lathe.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: That’s when you return from work one day
    and say, “Hi, Honey, I’m home – forever.”

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Central Illinois
    Thanks for the kind words. The platter is the largest diameter piece I have turned. It came from the left hand piece shown in the picture with Renny. All the bark is on the back side.

Having a lathe with a rotating head stock made it possible. It was turned 90 degrees, which alows me to turn up to 29" diameter.

Since I knew Larry would use it, the inside or front side is finished with Mineral Oil and buffed with Bees wax. The outside is done with the French polish process. If larry wants to, He can set it bottom side out as a piece of Art.

It took me much longer due to some medical issuesand I'm glad Larry likes it. That is the most important thing, to me.

PS: I do have to appologise about the signing. I took it to our local woodworkers club for show and tell, then was in a hurry to get it out to larry, I didn't sign it. He has waited a long enough time as it is. Go ahead and stop by Larry and we'll get er done!
    Last edited by Bruce Shiverdecker; 03-01-2011 at 02:30 AM.
    Bruce Shiverdecker - Retired Starving Artist ( No longer a Part timer at Woodcraft, Peoria, Il.)

"The great thing about turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed and you have something beautiful. Nature does the hard part!"

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Well Bruce all I can say is..... ya done good...
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward