Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Frank, did you feel the earthquake?

Frank, did you feel the earthquake?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_829048.html

4.7 ain't much in California, but it sounds like a big one in your neck of the woods...

Thanks,

Bill

I bet is did not even wake Frank up
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Stu has it right. I didn't even know about it until it was on the news. But a neighbor, about a mile away, was up at night and felt it.
    There is an area about 60 miles south of here where there has been drilling for natural gas. As part of the process a fluid, called 'fracking' is pumped into the ground. For some reason, the contents of that fluid are kept secret by law. In the immediate area (about a 20 mile radius) of the drilling they have been having many small quakes since the drilling started. It hasn't been proved the two are related but local folks are scared and upset.
    There is a fault in that area but it has never caused problems until recently.
    There is a famous fault about 125 miles east of me, it is called the New Madrid fault. In 1812 it unleased a biggie that caused the Mississippi River to run backwards and even formed lakes. We are in a light damage zone if it should bust loose again.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

I don't know the chemical content of the liquid you mentioned, but have shipped it all over the world... a lot of places refer to it as oilfield mud... I'm not sure of it's actual use and but suspect it is a case of displacing the oil and gas much like pouring sand or something into a jar to raise the liquid to a level the pumps can reach,

Another method of getting oil to flow and I suppose gas also is to "fracture" the wells... they send pipes down the well that are called down hole guns... they are very heavy wall pipes with small recesses drilled into the sides that have shaped charges installed... they then explode the charges to "fracture the walls and supposedly cause the oil and gases to flow better... I used to ship both the guns and the charges all around the world... matter of fact, my only broken bone in my life came from a down hole gun falling on my big toe and breaking in the last joint in 6 pieces... literally crushed the end of my big toe....

Biggest problem I ever had with the explosives was into South Africa... I could get the charges there with no problems... never did get the permits from the SA government to ship the detoniation cord... without the det cord, the charges were useless.

I'm wondering if the drillers have been using the charges... that could have disturbed the strata under the ground and cause the layers to slip...
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

My wife's cousin felt it up in Ava, Mo. Said that it lasted about 3-5 seconds for them.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

According to news reports, the fracking fluid is quite different than oil well mud and serves a different purpose. It actually causes underground explosions that release the natural gas.
    What bothers most people is the secrecy about it's contents. If safe, why make secret?

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    ... If safe, why make secret?
    It's often got diesel fuel and/or other unhealthy things in it. Here's more info:

http://www.earthworksaction.org/FracingDetails.cfm
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    It's often got diesel fuel and/or other unhealthy things in it. Here's more info:

http://www.earthworksaction.org/FracingDetails.cfm
    Thanks. That is scary interesting.
    Of course, those living close by the drilling operation are concerned about the safety of their drinking water which comes from their own private wells. I have well water and would have hissy fits of this was happening near my property.
    I think we better go private before straying into the political arena.

Crap...I'm still waiting to fall into the ocean. There is a great comedian that does a bit about the wind turbine's in the Altamont Pass and Techachapi parts of California...something about we already broke off the world, but the fans are blowing us back together...may have had to be there...but it was funny when I heard it
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Thanks. That is scary interesting.
    Frank,

There's a video out there, shot in some region where they're doing fracking, Pennsylvania, I think. Anyway, the guy goes into the laundry room and turns on the sink faucet, fed from a well. Then he gets out his lighter...

The water coming out of the faucet literally catches fire! I'm pretty sure it's an extremely unusual case, or we'd be seeing teenagers doing it all over youtube. But it's pretty freaky, all the same. Still, this is the first I've heard of earthquakes associated with the practice...

Thanks,

Bill