Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pentz design cyclone

Pentz design cyclone

I have a cyclone that I built a few years ago from Bill Pentz design. Its made of HDPE plastic. I recently got my drum sander finished and hooked it up the the cyclone and I am having a lot of dust pass through the cyclone. Any thoughts as to how much dust should pass through. I know my ducting is not the best because I have a few turns about 3 feet before it goes into the cyclone and I guess that can cut down the efficiency, and I don't have the right filters for it yet. From what I read on Pentz website there shouldn't be very much dust that gets to the filters. Right

Hi Dave

Here are a couple of links to Stu's web site showing his cyclone it may help if not I am sure Stu will pop in.

http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/cyclone3.htm

http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/cyclone4.htm
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

I have the Clear Vue based on the Pentz principles. I exhaust outside, but have seen no evidence of anything outside. I'd check to see if you've sprung a leak in your dust bin. That would account for the dust going anywhere but in your bin. I don't have a sander, so not sure how mine would operate with one, but you don't hear of it as a problem. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Yep, I agree with Jim, I bet you have a leak somewhere. Mine hardly passes any dust at all.

One way to find a leak is to get something that smokes, a bit of old rope or something and then let it smoke, run the cyclone and hold the smoking rope near anywhere you think it might leak.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Jim and Stu are right on. If your system has any type of air leak below or at the 'funnel' you will have all the dust going through to your filters. At the base of the cyclone you must be airtight or have a vacuum.

Brian
    That's not even a smile! That's just a bunch of teeth playing with my mind!

I'm not sure where I would have a leak. It collects all the larger dust like I get from sawing and planing, but not sanding dust. I'll have to take a look at things tonight. I suppose that even a small leak could cause a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Altop View Post
    Jim and Stu are right on. If your system has any type of air leak below or at the 'funnel' you will have all the dust going through to your filters. At the base of the cyclone you must be airtight or have a vacuum.

Brian
    It depends if you are pushing air at the cyclone or pulling it. My new system will be a seperate blower blowing into a cyclone seperator that is outside, and the warm air returning inside. A small leak at the dust bin will not stop dust from settling out as it will be under pressure. If the blower is on the other side then you have a vacuum at the bottom of the cyclone and it will draw air. This can keep the fines suspended.

The downside of my setup is everything goes through the fan, so sparks have to be considered. but I will not have to keep everthing as tight at the collection point.

I found a leak in the system, it was in the bung hole plug. For some reason the plug had 6- 1/8" holes in it. So I fixed that, turned on the cyclone and sander and... still I am getting dust coming out of the cyclone. Its enough that I can see it blowing out. 1 thing I noticed was that after I stopped sanding there was still dust spinning around the cyclone and not dropping, it stayed that way for several minutes until I turned off the cyclone. Im not sure if thats supposed to happen. Another thing I noticed was that my blower housing is taller than this blower plan on Pentz website. http://BillPentz.com/woodworking/cyc.../budblower.gif

I know I built my blower before 2/2010 which is the date on that plan, I don't know if that has changed since I built mine.

Not sure about the blower housing, but the dust spinning in the cyclone is normal. My Clear Vue does that at times. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

The only change to the blower plans on Bill's website that I know of is that he added the layout of the blower housing that I had built for mine that was designed by Ed Thomas and that is for a 16" dia. impeller.

Does your sander have a 4" dust collection port? If it does you might need to open another blastgate a little bit to make up for the lost airflow. My understanding of his cyclone is that best seperation efficency occurs with a 6" connection.