Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Slow Speed Grinder!!!

Slow Speed Grinder!!!

Oh Yeah Baby!!

Got the slow speed 8" Wood Craft grinder today!

Attachment 5018
    There it sits, 18,150 yen to me ($150)

Wheels mounted up, and start it, MAN ALIVE, did I buy a paint shaker by mistake

Attachment 5019
    OK, off comes the wheels, and I'll check the shafts........... yep, zero run out. Without the wheels, the grinder runs nice and smooth

The problem is with the cheapo wheels, something that I expected, but not nearly this bad...

Attachment 5020
    OK, I have to clean up the wheels, but first, I want to make sure the other parts are good, the washers are ground, but not very well, so I put them on the scary sharp stone and make them shinny flat.

Attachment 5021
    Now on to the wheels, I did my best to make the stone flat on the front surface, but with all the vibration, it was nearly impossible............

Attachment 5022
    I got my handy X-Y drill press vice, put it in the bench vice, then clamped the diamond dresser in the vice, and brought up the grinder

Attachment 5023
    I put some pencil marks on the wheel and had a go....

Attachment 5024

Attachment 5025

Attachment 5026

The results were very good, the amount of vibrations is down, WAY down!!

Now I need to figure out how to dress the inside of the wheel, then make some new jigs for sharpening......

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post

Now I need to figure out how to dress the inside of the wheel, then make some new jigs for sharpening......

Cheers!
    switch sides with the wheels right to left, still spinnin` the same direction but opisite face exposed......
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Yeah, I was thinking of doing that, but I'm worried that the washers etc. are not exactly true, so who knows if I'll just make it worse....?

Anyway, the result is still WAY better than it was out of the box, that is for sure, and the next time I get an order from the US, I'll be sure to get some better quality wheels, and I might even get that balancer thing from Oneway....?

Oneway Percision Balancing System Review

Anyone have this system?

Looks like I'd have to buy new wheels to use it, as it says they have the flange for various sized shafts (my grinder is 5/8") but the wheel has to have 1" holes.....

I'm going to be teaching myself how to freehand grind too!

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Cool Stu, Once you get it balanced, you will like that grinder (at least I do!).

I have no doubt about that Ed, I can't wait to have a go at hand sharpening!
    William Arthur Ward

When I bought my 80 grit blue wheel from Woodcraft, the first one was very bad, like you describe. I called and they replaced. But during the call the lady told me that out of round/balance/whatever wheels were very common. My replacement wasn't perfect but I kept it.

I always like to see your 'pictorials'. Stu. I appreciate your taking the time to take, post and give explanations that go along with the pictures.
    Thanks .
    George

Thumbs up

Nice approach Stu, Like how you did that, thanks .

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Oh Yeah Baby!!

Got the slow speed 8" Wood Craft grinder today!

Attachment 5018
    There it sits, 18,150 yen to me ($150)

Wheels mounted up, and start it, MAN ALIVE, did I buy a paint shaker by mistake

Attachment 5019
    OK, off comes the wheels, and I'll check the shafts........... yep, zero run out. Without the wheels, the grinder runs nice and smooth

The problem is with the cheapo wheels, something that I expected, but not nearly this bad...

Attachment 5020
    OK, I have to clean up the wheels, but first, I want to make sure the other parts are good, the washers are ground, but not very well, so I put them on the scary sharp stone and make them shinny flat.

Attachment 5021
    Now on to the wheels, I did my best to make the stone flat on the front surface, but with all the vibration, it was nearly impossible............

Attachment 5022
    I got my handy X-Y drill press vice, put it in the bench vice, then clamped the diamond dresser in the vice, and brought up the grinder

Attachment 5023
    I put some pencil marks on the wheel and had a go....

Attachment 5024

Attachment 5025

Attachment 5026

The results were very good, the amount of vibrations is down, WAY down!!

Cheers!
    Thinking about a project without ACTION is just DAY DREAMING .

Steve Clardy Guest
    I've got the 6" Variable speed. Fair little grinder.
    My wheels were out of balance some. I just kept repositioning one of them till she ran smooth.

Well, I got the other one done, the 60 grit wheel, it was WAY worse than the 120 grit wheel.

Half way though truing up one side, the whole grinder started bucking like a washing machine way out of balance, it it was not screwed to the bench it would have dance off the top for sure

I shut it down and checked to see if I had something loose, like the opposite wheel etc.......... nope, could not find anything.

Fired it up again, and it got worse, shook my work bench so hard it spilled my cup of coffee

OK something is wrong here.................. Ah ha!

Found it............. the bolts holding the base of the grinder to the body of the grinder had come loose

took the grinder off the piece of 3/4" plywood it was bolted too, took the cover off the bottom and found three nuts almost off, just one was somewhat tight......... tightened them down and man, the whole thing ran a lot smoother..............

Paging Alex Reid........... check yours when it shows up.

Got the 60 grit wheel done, and the whole thing runs a LOT smoother, but.............. not nearly as smooth as the one I used at our last turners group workshop......... That was a VERY nice Baldor unit, with good quality wheels.......

I guess I'm going to be getting new wheels and the Oneway balancing kit.

I also want to make a vacuum attachment for keeping the grinding dust down. I'm thinking a hose to each side, through the wheel side cover, then to a 5 gallon pail, half full of water, the intake hose pipe will go under water, the outlet pipe will be well above water. This should keep the dust and grit in the water, and stop any errant sparks from going into my vacuum cleaner............ sound like a plan?

Cheers!
    William Arthur Ward