Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oak Burl

Oak Burl

I was beginning to wonder when I first started turning this thing as there was a lot of creaky, cracky sounds as I was turning the outside. So decided duct tape was in order especially with the one piece being a little loose even with some CA. I turned it a little thicker than I like at 1/4" but it did turn out nicely. Turned a little southwest style with this one. This one will go in my display case never to be sold. It is 8 1/4" across and 4" high. It has one coat of AO on it with 2 or 3 more to come. Probably no buffing on this one. This was a fun piece to turn but there was some pucker factor involved.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Oak Burl 1.jpg   Oak Burl 2.jpg   Oak Burl 7.jpg   Oak Burl 8.jpg   Oak Burl 5.jpg  

Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

That's a beauty Bernie! I just love gnarly hunks of wood like that.

When I looked at the first pic I thought maybe you gone all "modern" on us with that duct tape finish.

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Bernie there the kind of pieces i really like, and you for shore did it right. I've never used duct tape but have used blue painters tape and saran wrap.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Bellinger View Post
    Bernie there the kind of pieces i really like, and you for shore did it right. I've never used duct tape but have used blue painters tape and saran wrap.
    you keep your finner crossed and yu to might get a piece similair.. got warmer weather ahead so i can get to it steve

nice looking burl bernie,, must tbe the gray area was a flat that nature put there?
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Well man i'll keep them fingers and toes crossed. Come on warm weather.

Oak Burl

Beautifull piece there Bernie ole boy,love those pieces.If ya don't mind,I'll give ya a lttle tip.Fella I know in Fl does a lot of work like that,an he's GOOD,anyway he told me that he completly finished the outside,waxing ,buffing,the whole nine yards,then he wraps the piece in that clear wrapping tape that you can get anywhere,pretty cheap and doesn't leave any residue on the piece at all.Then he turns the inside to finish.I've done several using that tecnique and it works pretty good,ain't never lost any( YET) Just thought I would offer that little tip as I sure ain't takin nothin away from this piece.
    May God Bless
    Ken

Ha!! I love that chunk of wood and you worked it well! Good idea to keep it in the family. Well done Bernie!!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

A good way to hold it together and results are worth it.

Bruce
    Bruce Shiverdecker - Retired Starving Artist ( No longer a Part timer at Woodcraft, Peoria, Il.)

"The great thing about turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed and you have something beautiful. Nature does the hard part!"

Thanks for the kind comments. Yep this one was fun and throw in a little pucker factor to boot. When my wife saw this one she claimed it and in the same breath told me don't even try to sell it. Guess it won't be sold. The wood came from a good friend of ours in New York. She is a pretty good turner in her own right. I sent her a piece of walnut and she sent me this.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl View Post
    ...Probably no buffing on this one...
    Chicken.

Great little hollow form Bernie, and well done getting it finished in one piece. Another no-mar way to hold these kinds of pieces together is shipper's stretch wrap. It's handy for a lot of things around the shop.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com