Walnut wine table

Bob Gibson

Finish finally dried today so my daughter Melissa is coming over in the morning to pick it up.

Made from beautiful Michigan walnut:) The slats on the sides are cherry.

Pretty simple but fun build. The wine glass moldings were kind of fun to make. I cut the angle on the edges about 7 degrees on the TS and then ripped out the waste.

Finished with 3 coats of BLO, MS and Wipe on poly. I'm kind of concerned about the durability of the top. I figure spilled wine may stain it. Any suggestions if/what to do??

Thanks for looking. Comments and suggestions either good or bad are always wanted.

I know, I know I stink at taking pictures. :rolleyes:

100_3914 (600 x 400) table1.jpg

100_3915 (600 x 400)table2.jpg

100_3917 (600 x 400)table4.jpg

100_3919 (600 x 400)table3.jpg

100_3920 (600 x 400)table5.jpg

100_3921 (600 x 400)table6.jpg

Love it Bob:thumb::thumb::thumb: I have been trying to think of a wine rack and THAT is AWESOME:thumb:, I think some time in the future i am going to have to steal that design:D

That looks great, Bob. :clap:

If I understand you correctly, you used a mix of BLO, mineral spirits, and poly. If that's the case, the finish on the top should be pretty durable. If you wanted to add more protection, you could add a topcoat or two of straight poly, but I suspect the mix you used will hold up just fine. (Worked pretty well for Sam Maloof and a lot of others.)

nice job, bob. and only thing i would suggest is to give that top a good coat of wax and have her do it occasionally to keep that as barrier from the poly sand that way you have double protection.. another nice piece of chocolate going to a good home:)

Nice!

It looks a lot like one I built about fifteen years ago, except mine had a drawer in it for holding corkscrews, foil cutters, etc.

Here's a not-too-good picture of mine:

Attachments

• wine table (2).jpg
    wine table (2).jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 23
Nicely done Bob {& Jim} :thumb::thumb:
Very inspiring, but I'm not sure how mine will turn out...the beer can holders should be easy enough, but hanging the mugs might be a challenge...oh, can I incorporate a peanut bowl instead of a cheese board?
:rofl:Just joking around fellas...'really nice pieces'!!!

Nice table Jim :thumb: My daughter asked about adding a drawer but I was unsure on how it would look. After seeing yours I should of added it.

I agree it would of looked better stocked up with wine but all I had was a half full bottle of "Big Poppi" Red Sox championship wine that was in my cabinet since the Red Sox last championship. Now thats aged wine :rofl::rofl::rofl: