First Day at the New Job

Congratulations, Vaughn!!

I agree with Jonathan, but in a good way. I've read it many times that having the wealthy as clients can be a very good thing. (Would you rather have to sell 50,000 widgets per year at a buck each to make a living, 500 items at $100 each, or just 50 items at $1000 each!? I know what I'd choose!)

Again, congratulations and hope this works out for you! :thumb:

...art

This is off the subject, but still in keeping with Art's statement about having the wealthy for clients... my uncle, long since passed away, was a contractor in the Bay Area... he did a lot of work in the Hillsborough (where Bing Crosby lived) and Atherton (where a lot of the .com executives live)... I know of two occasions back in the '70's where he did work for some of the wealthier clientele... one guy called him over to hang a screen door... my uncle said it took him 15 minutes, mostly to get his tools out and then put away again... he put in 6 screws, presented a bill for about $200 and the guy wrote him a check.... another guy had my uncle do a remodel of his stair way... about $25K later as he was finishing up, the cliente came in all excited and told Uncle he had just bought a spiral staircase that was used in some movie in LA... he wanted that installed where the new stairs were... Uncle commented that he was just putting finishing touches on the new stairs... the client said I don't care take it out, I'll pay you whatever the charge to put this one in... another $25k or $30k.... sometimes wealthy clients are a boon..... :thumb::thumb:

If nothing else Vaughn, have a little portfolio you can show if anyone gives you an opening... you know kinda like Grandpa with pictures of Grandkids.. :rofl::rofl:

Good luck and congratulations.

Woot, woot! Good to hear Vaughan. If they can afford an art installer they can afford to be... ummm... eccentric (yeah, that's it). :rolleyes:

Looking forward to some stories.

Cheers,

Absolutely wonderful news Vaughn and enjoy the opportunity. Yes, it may lead to bigger and better things but regardless, it sounds like a great opportunity to earn a few bucks, see how the other half lives and maybe learn something about art.

Assuming anyone who can afford to hire someone to hang a single picture is buying high quality art, it makes me wonder what type of insurance your employer must have?

Vaughn, I didn't know you were without a job until reading this thread.

one job leads to another job which leads to bigger and better and most importantly satisfying careers.

all the best

joe

Sounds like a great in for you. Just lie the others have said keep business cards and a portfolio tucked away and ready for opportunity. All the best for ya.

Congratulations Vaughn. Definitely let the folks you work with know what your art work is.

I have a friend that paints model figurines (e.g. like Godzilla) and he's been doing a lot of work for Kirk Hammett of Metallica who lives in the bay area. Kirk has one house he lives in and a second that houses his collection of models. My friend has been subsequently connected with other folks in the FX business. Kirk is putting together a book on his movie memorabilia that should get my friend even more work. So don't be shy about your advertising you talents :thumb::thumb::thumb:

OK Mr. Smartypants, I foresee a bad catch in your future. A really bad catch. :rofl: Worse than the getting up before noon, I can't go to bed at 6:30 AM anymore.

I'll have you know that I had a much needed laugh off of that one, just because I can see you saying that!!! In the words of a famous commercial "Thanks...I needed that" :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::p:p:p