Spray on Adhesive that lets go when done...?

Stuart Ablett

OK, I think that someone like 3M makes this kind of product, you spray it on, to say sandpaper, then stick the sandpaper to something, when done, the sandpaper just peels off.....?

I guess a spray on Pressure Sensitive Adhesive.........?

I think the one I want is #72, but when I look it up online, it says "Obsolete" on the 3M homepage.....:huh:

I have the 77 stuff, but it is NOT PSA, as you need a razor blade to get that stuff off!

I'm thinking of making my Disk sander disk out of thick MDF, and coating it with some sort of finish, then spray on the PSA and use normal sandpaper....?

Anyone use this stuff?

Cheers!

stu, just buy the psa discs.....i use 12"ers and they run about 4 bucks for 36 grit cloth backed.....
if you`re dead set on an aerosol try auto body supply houses they might still have access? tod

Well one of the reasons I was thinking of using the spray and just sandpaper is the PSA disks here are about $16 each! If I buy in a pack of ten then they drop to about $12 each......:rolleyes:

Can of spray adhesive and some sandpaper......:dunno:

Cheers!

This might be what your looking for. It is low tack and might be to low for a disk sander. I use it for holding sandpaper to the granite plate for scary sharp. But you might want to search for low tack and see if that come up with something better.

100_7699.JPG

Stu,

I am pretty sure that this is what I have used: http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-47236/Detail
I don't know if you can get Duro products over there or not. I was using it on an old roll of 500 sheets that the glue had dried up on for a DA sander so it might not work as well with a disc sander, but it might.

I still have a can of it so will test it today. I should let it set for a few hours and see if it still holds and will release.

I'm with tod. If you can get the cloth backed psa disc for a reasonable amount I would go that route. They are tough as nails and will last much, much longer than regular sandpaper thus a greater cost is justified.

Allen

Last edited:
Auto body guys have an adhesive that works that way, Can't remember the Dupont numbers or #M numbers but it come in a tube and is used with DA (Dual Action) sanders (Before the advent of the Hook & Loop) I also remember from my teaching days there was a goo that you applied (black as I remember, with a strong tar smell) to sanding disc and then applied the paper disk. After the paper had met its demise you would burn in a piece of wood to heat up the disk and then peel off the old paper. Sorry I can't remember the numbers or the names but perhaps I can spark some memory with other folks.

Allen recommended the same Duro stuff I was going to suggest. The can I have I bought at a Fabric store as apparently it's got quite a few uses for the sew-yer-own crowd. I would think if they've got those types of store in Japan they'd at least have something similar.

Stu,

I haven't gotten around to buying any disks yet and was thinking about it just today. If you want to go in on an order I'm interested.

Yeah, lets do something, the price here is a tad high.

I'm going to put an order in somewhere for some better wheels and that balancing thing from Oneway.

Cheers!

PS, guys with a disk sander, what grits do you usually use?

PS, guys with a disk sander, what grits do you usually use?

stu, i never go any finer than 80.......usually keep 36 or 40 on mine....the finer grits tend to load up and burn working on end grain and i`m usually in a hurry to get whatever out of my way or i wouldn`t be shoving it at a disc sander in the first place.....tod