Words of wisdom...

Bill Satko

from Bob Rozaieski's blog today (blog is called Logan Cabinet Shoppe):

"When it comes to hand tools, the best teachers are the tools and the wood. Even if the only tools you have are a small handsaw, a chisel or two and a block plane, go use those tools and make something simple. Don't let a perceived lack of tools or knowledge stop you from cutting wood. The tools and the wood will teach you far more than any book or video.

Using hand tools is a very tactile way of working with the wood. It's all about feel and feedback from the tools and the material. When you use planes and chisels and hand saws, you feel and hear things that let you know what is going on. I'm not talking about some kind of spiritual, zen thing. I'm talking about real, tangible results."

Follow the link to even more great insights:

http://www.logancabinetshoppe.com/1/post/2011/03/just-do-it.html

kinda like last night while smoothing a board and thought i needed one more swipe and so went ahead and it hesitated harder at the end of the stroke which allowed me to see a divot or tearout afterwards.. yeah i know that feeling and it wasnt good..:)

I kind of agree with that statement, but I disagree with the implyed statement that when you are running a machine you can not tell what is going on. I keep an ear on my machines, and usually a hand, and I can feel and hear what is going on with them at all times.

For example, say I am running an edge with a router. I hear what is going on, and if I hear a tearout happening I automatically back out and climb cut that reverse grain portion to close to its final depth without even thinking about it. I read the grain just like I do with a hand plane when I am using a machine, and generally I do not see it as a heck of a lot different, other than I can get stuff done in time to make a profit.

No I don't agree that the hand tools are the only ZEN way to work wood, you need to pay just as much attention to the wood with machinery.

I kind of agree with that statement, but I disagree with the implyed statement that when you are running a machine you can not tell what is going on. I keep an ear on my machines, and usually a hand, and I can feel and hear what is going on with them at all times.

For example, say I am running an edge with a router. I hear what is going on, and if I hear a tearout happening I automatically back out and climb cut that reverse grain portion to close to its final depth without even thinking about it. I read the grain just like I do with a hand plane when I am using a machine, and generally I do not see it as a heck of a lot different, other than I can get stuff done in time to make a profit.

No I don't agree that the hand tools are the only ZEN way to work wood, you need to pay just as much attention to the wood with machinery.

I agree with what you say. When I taught my kids to drive (a manual transmission) I drilled it into their heads to listen to the engine and feel what's going on......You absolutely have to understand the sounds of the machines when you're working, and that comes with experience....