Evap-o-rust and a No-06, I'm Impressed

glenn bradley

Well I've seen others success stories but I am still impressed. These are pics of an old No-06 handed down back in 2007. It sat in a tool cabinet on a shelf waiting to see if I would try to revive it.

old plane 002.jpg old plane 005.jpg

This is after setting overnight in a tub of Evap-o-rust. I haven't even given it any TLC yet. Who knew there was paint under all that?

Ohio-No-6-cleanup 003.jpg

Speaking of TLC, the knob and tote are toast but, I'll limp along with them till I find out if this thing is worth putting some serious effort into. Whadda ya think of this lever cap? Can I just grind those nibbles out? Should I bother?

Ohio-No-6-cleanup 005.jpg

Last edited:
Blade looks in good shape Glenn a little grinding and sharpening and away you go.

Need to tune up the chipbreaker so its edge is sharp and polished an meets the plane across its width nice and tight.

I would see if i could get a new lever cap on ebay. When you finished fixing that edge the pressure point is going to be further back.

I wonder how that got into that condition. I dont mean the rust i mean the broken edges of the lever cap.

Good salvage...way to go on the Evapo Rust. A fine Canadian product.:)

Neat. Those nibbles look odd. I say reshape it as needed, that 1/16" or so of an inch won't make much of a difference for now and you can always get another cap.

Cheers,

Last edited:
I've been using a rapid oxidizer in one form or another for many years on cars I restore. Saves a lot of work and a lot of metal that would have to be ground away. Clean/neutralize and paint with a little epoxy primer and that is the end of it, ready for the finish process.

There is a place in Romulus Mich. that will dip a whole car in a tank of that kind of product, then clean, then dip in a electrified tank of epoxy primer. I may do my 47 Dodge that way if funds allow.

The stuff works......

Bothering with that lever cap

Well I've seen others success stories but I am still impressed. These are pics of an old No-06 handed down back in 2007. It sat in a tool cabinet on a shelf waiting to see if I would try to revive it.

View attachment 54499 View attachment 54500

This is after setting overnight in a tub of Evap-o-rust. I haven't even given it any TLC yet. Who knew there was paint under all that?

View attachment 54501

Speaking of TLC, the knob and tote are toast but, I'll limp along with them till I find out if this thing is worth putting some serious effort into. Whadda ya think of this lever cap? Can I just grind those nibbles out? Should I bother?

View attachment 54502

As far as I am concerned, spend the 15 to 20 minutes it will take to try to grind that down a little. It's only your time you are spending. I would also be on the lookout for a new lever cap, just in case.