I forgot

Completely forgot how to cut crown molding. Finally remembered how to cut it, after flipping the piece several different directions. Guess I need to do it more often.

I know what you mean. Crown molding can be a challenge unless you work with it regularly. Even then, you need to keep a clear and focused mind! :)

A power miter saw is a BIG advantage. I generally make the measurement and then visualize where the angle needs to be. (outside corner, inside corner, or beveled joint) I then use my pencil and make a light line on the piece indicating the angle just to remind me. ;)

Then it's off to the saw. Remember, the crown molding goes on the saw UPSIDE DOWN! I have a double-bevel sliding compound miter saw so I can do it flat if I wish, but usually just put the molding against table/fence upside down and cut a standard 45.

I was at Woodcraft the other day and saw a neat little jig for coping crown. You slide the crown into the jig and it holds it in place. The jig has wide flanges on it so that you can use a jig saw to cope the molding. If I'm doing painted molding, I usually just miter the corners and use a little bit of painters caulk to fill the seam and it works great. If you're doing stained crown though, you almost have to cope it or it won't come out right. I just finished putting up crown in a family room remodel I just did. Unfortunately, I didn't find this jig until AFTER I'd already completed the molding work. Oh well, maybe I'll pick it up for the next job.

John

I always cut it on the 45 and upside down. I think the last time I cut any was 2 years ago.

I was you could have seen me flipping the piece around. I about laughed out loud, when I finally remembered how to cut it.