Tools, how good do they need to be?

Well said Chris :thumb:

Happy 3600.:thumb:

What I say I say with the utmost respect to everyone, and I acknowledge I do much more work with plywood than maple. For me, it works.

I'd be happy to add reviews to a HF thread if we have one.

Ok, first Ken, I am not picking on you, just using your perspective....

No offense taken Larry, I've got skin made of leather ;) and please don't take the following as a personal reply, I'm just flappin my jaws waiting for the shop to warm up :rofl:. Have to admit though, calling my line of thinking a 'problem' doesn't sit well, to me it's not a problem at all, maybe 'view' would of been a better choice of word...eeenyways, it wasn't my intention to say that there is no difference in quality with different grades of tools{apologies if it came across as so}. I come from the poor side of town so to speak, my grandfather and my dad both were raised with{out of necessity} and preached, the idea of making do with what you have, and that keeping up with the Jones' won't make you rich or happy. I was brought up with the thought/belief that a quality tool will never 'guarantee' quality results, usually it only guarantees a higher profit for the manufacturer. also seems to me like buying a new car, the depreciation upon receivership is astounding...to "me personally", bells and whistles are mere eye-candy, that can possibly but not always, make experiences more enjoyable &/or easier... Me? I'd rather enjoy knowing I don't have to have all the 'latest & greatest' to build something of value.

Of course, if I were selling 10K entertainment centers, I'd probably take a different stance. But I can't get around the fact of being forced to charge higher rates to justify the equipment used...How, for example, two ww'rs with the same technical skills, building identical projects, is the one with the high end tools considered more worthy?

:dunno: I don't know...maybe because I've spent a ton of time on the lower part of the totem pole of finance, I'm biased/jealous, but even so, on that rare occasion my pockets are flush, I still look for a deal whether it's name brand, user recommended, or intended purpose, not the 'status' symbol.

Rant over :D

I don't think you can ever charge higher rates to justify the tools. For a professional the higher priced tools should be allowing them to work faster, longer, with less interuptions, and provide their services cheaper or make more money on the same thing.

No offense taken Larry, I've got skin made of leather ;) and please don't take the following as a personal reply, I'm just flappin my jaws waiting for the shop to warm up :rofl:. Have to admit though, calling my line of thinking a 'problem' doesn't sit well, to me it's not a problem at all, maybe 'view' would of been a better choice of word...eeenyways, it wasn't my intention to say that there is no difference in quality with different grades of tools{apologies if it came across as so}. I come from the poor side of town so to speak, my grandfather and my dad both were raised with{out of necessity} and preached, the idea of making do with what you have, and that keeping up with the Jones' won't make you rich or happy. I was brought up with the thought/belief that a quality tool will never 'guarantee' quality results, usually it only guarantees a higher profit for the manufacturer. also seems to me like buying a new car, the depreciation upon receivership is astounding...to "me personally", bells and whistles are mere eye-candy, that can possibly but not always, make experiences more enjoyable &/or easier... Me? I'd rather enjoy knowing I don't have to have all the 'latest & greatest' to build something of value.

Of course, if I were selling 10K entertainment centers, I'd probably take a different stance. But I can't get around the fact of being forced to charge higher rates to justify the equipment used...How, for example, two ww'rs with the same technical skills, building identical projects, is the one with the high end tools considered more worthy?

:dunno: I don't know...maybe because I've spent a ton of time on the lower part of the totem pole of finance, I'm biased/jealous, but even so, on that rare occasion my pockets are flush, I still look for a deal whether it's name brand, user recommended, or intended purpose, not the 'status' symbol.

Rant over :D

I guess I shouldn't have used your quote to make a point. Sorry. It really wasn't about you at all, it was about the idea of what is good. If I have offended you I am sorry.

Thats all I have to say on this subject as well.......

The other Larry

.... I just don't see the appeal of such cheap tools, but I suspect they fill a demand. It got me to wondering when is cheap good enough?

I did not read any replies, so this may be redundant. In my shop, cheap tools are for those once a year jobs. I will buy something from HF for one of two reasons.

1. It has really good reviews. An example is my hose reel. Well pleased with it. And my HVLP spray guns. Bot have great reviews and have been what everyone said.

2. For a once/twice a year job. I bought an angle grinder to grind down nicks in the lawn mower blades. I couldn't see spending a lot of money for a good grinder for that. There have a been a time or two I needed something and knew it would rarely be used and HF did the job and sat on the shelf till it was needed again.

Now, if I had any idea I would have used the little grinder as much as I do I would have bought a better one. I have found I use after use for it and maybe it is exception but it falls in category #1 for me. It's lasted longer than I expected.

And I find some useful odds and ends there. A box of nitrile gloves, 100 acid brushes, swivel joint for the sprayer. That is the kind of stuff I typically buy there.

I did not read any replies, so this may be redundant. In my shop, cheap tools are for those once a year jobs. I will buy something from HF for one of two reasons.

1. It has really good reviews. An example is my hose reel. Well pleased with it. And my HVLP spray guns. Bot have great reviews and have been what everyone said.

2. For a once/twice a year job. I bought an angle grinder to grind down nicks in the lawn mower blades. I couldn't see spending a lot of money for a good grinder for that. There have a been a time or two I needed something and knew it would rarely be used and HF did the job and sat on the shelf till it was needed again.

Now, if I had any idea I would have used the little grinder as much as I do I would have bought a better one. I have found I use after use for it and maybe it is exception but it falls in category #1 for me. It's lasted longer than I expected.

And I find some useful odds and ends there. A box of nitrile gloves, 100 acid brushes, swivel joint for the sprayer. That is the kind of stuff I typically buy there.

Interesting, Jeff. I have ALL ot the tools you've mentioned, and for the same reasons. They've served quite well, and have done as much as - or more than - I've expected of them, so in that respect they've had good value.

Two other tools I tried - and have had good experiences with - are a cheap tile saw, and their 'mini-jackhammer' SDS hammer drill. I needed both of those for 'one time' jobbs where I'd have needed them for several days, and the HF price to buy was actually less than the rental of "good" tools would've been. Both tools did what I bought them for, and both seem none-the-less for wear, so they're available for the next job (or for lending out).

Tools, how good do they need to be?

As I read the responses to this question, it seems to me that the answer is as varied as the number of members who replied. Personally, I'm thrilled that I could actually afford some of that "cheap" HF equipment. It means that I can have a shop even though we have a minimum of funds available. Is this the best? Probably not. Is it suitable for production work? Probably not. Does it meet my personal needs? Yes!:)

Ike

Last edited: