Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cast-Away 15 build

Cast-Away 15 build

About this time last year I built my skin on frame canoe while I worked on the idea of building a skin kayak for fishing. I have played with the design off and on. Last week I started building the prototype, discovered lots of problems and went back to the drawing board.

Here is what I came up with. 14.5' long. Large open cockpit and a open well behind you for the a square milk crate. Going to reinforce the area between the cockpit and well so I can mount rod holders. Anchor trolley may be added at some point.

I expect the boat to weigh around 30 lbs once finished. I started cutting out the frame tonight and will start assembling the frame this week.

God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

What's the milk crate for? Just to hold your 'stuff'? Pretty good idea...

Any problem reaching behind you get get the rods or stuff out of the crate without dumping the kayak

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    All I can say is WOW!
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    What's the milk crate for? Just to hold your 'stuff'? Pretty good idea...

Any problem reaching behind you get get the rods or stuff out of the crate without dumping the kayak
    Milk crates are very common with Kayak Fisherman. You can store all you stuff in there and they are easy to carry around. Bungees hold them in place on the boat. Kind of like a shirt pocket.

This boat is pretty stable so shouldn't be a problem at all. Of course if you are not familiar with kayaking then yea, you could end up doing the first half of an Eskimo roll.

I will put separate rod holders that will be closer to edge of the boat and easier to reach.

I fish out of a 13'8" Old Town Loon. I think you are on the right track. I like the big opening. Fishing out of the smaller kayaks I find I get claustrophobic after sitting a while, and I like to be able to move around more.

I cut a hole in the back of mine for a plastic cooler. Does the same thing as a milk crate but is multi purpose. Sometimes we do rivers using this kayak because it hauls so much, so then the cooler is a cooler. I need to figure out how to put a small lip around the hole for when the deck gets washed over, but its Royalex[?] May just do a teak surround.

I made up a set of outriggers with pontoons that I can clip on when out in big water fishing. Couple of reasons, one, I fall asleep sometimes and two there are a lot of boats makeing rouge waves, and so see #1. I came up with this the second time I woke up upside down.

Do two halves of an eskimo roll make a whole?

I never got around to holders so I am curious where you end up mounting them. Another thing I am contemplating is adding a trolling motor tube. I go out in the spring and troll for walleye, but the shoulders are getting to old for that. Ever heard of anyone doing that?

I'm curious to see how this project of yours goes. If I ever get my business setup[downsizing] where I can relax a bit I want to build a kayak for lakes.

The other Larry

I am anxious to see where this goes too Larry. I put a sketch on my web site about a similar fishing version and I have been surprised at the interest it has stirred. So it is high on my list to get this one on the water and work out the bugs in it. Besides it's starting to warm up and fish are going to be headed into the shallows soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Horton View Post
    Besides it's starting to warm up and fish are going to be headed into the shallows soon!
    Ya...... it was -2 here this morning. Ice fishing maybe, out of my van....

So, Jeff... could you do a 2 person SOF kayak? What kind of length would that be? Would that be one long cockpit, or two separate ones?

(My only experience is with occasional canoe use, but I am intrigued by your plans. We're starting to plan a canoe camping trip for later this summer.)
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    So, Jeff... could you do a 2 person SOF kayak? What kind of length would that be? Would that be one long cockpit, or two separate ones?
    It has been done and that was one of my initial goals. I was thinking one large single cockpit. A cross between a decked canoe and a kayak. I have changed directions for the moment since I scraped the concept boat. The new design sticks to what I know works.

My initial idea was a 17 footer (more or less) with floors so you could just slip in a Crazy Creek chair and move it around so you could paddle solo or tandem. may pursue that next. Not sure.

Looks like a nice project.

You could have called it the 3 hour tour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfR7qxtgCgY
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart