Cast-Away 15 build

I'm enjoying the view from here, Jeff. :thumb: What was it about the two previous versions that made you decide to start again?

I finally got to work on this boat again. I am not going to complain because most of the delay has been because I was busy with orders and building kits. Yesterday I was caught up and had a chance to start skinning.

This one went really quickly because there isn't much to sew. Most of the skin is stapled in place. The bad thing is the staples grab a thread and you end up with a pull in the fabric. It's not really noticeable once you finish the boat. It would be with a clear finish I suspect.

This time I tried staples with a pointed end instead of a chisel cut this time and it still happened just as bad. I was under the impression it was because of the chisel points I was using.

Here is a couple of photos from when I stopped last night. Should be no problem to finish skinning today. Now to come up with a color(s).

cast-away-153-9.jpg

cast-away-153-10.jpg

cast-away-153-11.jpg

What was it about the two previous versions that made you decide to start again?

Missed your question.

The fit, the boat was smaller than I wanted. This boat has two purposes. Fishing is obvious, that dictates a stable platform you can move around in and space for gear. It needed more volume than a true Sea Kayak. More freeboard (higher sides) to lessen the chance of bring water in the boat if you lean it over fighting a fish or just moving around messing with gear.

Then with just a few modifications to the layout it will also make a great boat from someone that wants a really stable platform to get out on the water and just mess around. Should be good for kids to paddle too.

Last edited:
Skin in on, shrunk and ready for finish. Headed to the paint store shortly to pick it up. Still on the fence on color but I think I have decided to go with easier choice so I can get this on the water. Someone gave me a great idea but it would take a lot of time to do and I am so far behind that I think it will just have to wait for another boat.

cast-away-153-12.jpg

cast-away-153-13.jpg

Nothing about this boat has been easy! I usually know what color I want before I am finished designing a boat. Or least a few options. With this boat I have struggled with every aspect. I did a turquoise boat once and loved the color. I tried and tried to find something close to that color and I couldn't. I finally just gave in and choose this one and I am not to thrilled with it. After getting the hull painted and rolling it over I could tell that it would be way to much to paint the deck the same color. So I took the easy way out and just bought white for it. I am just ready to get it done and out the door.

cast-away-153-14.jpg

Before I put the paint on the deck I started fitting some trim to hide the staples. I planed some cedar down to 1/2" thickness and fitted the pieces to the boat. They are on the sawhorses being varnished.

cast-away-153-15.jpg

Next I worked on the well around the milk crate fitting these in.

cast-away-153-16.jpg

A couple of more coats on the deck and the floor boards and this one will be ready to start rigging the rod holders, paddle part and head to the lake to do some fishing.

I did a turquoise boat once and loved the color. I tried and tried to find something close to that color and I couldn't. I finally just gave in and choose this one and I am not to thrilled with it.

I like the lines and design, but agree about the colour. Maybe a forest green or a dark burgundy for the bottom next time?

So what would be a good "first" boat for someone wanting to build one of these SOF boats? Someday I think I'd like either a 2-person canoe or a 2-person kayak, but I'm thinking that probably it would be good to practise first on another boat before actually building the one I really want. :dunno:

So what would be a good "first" boat for someone wanting to build one of these SOF boats? Someday I think I'd like either a 2-person canoe or a 2-person kayak, but I'm thinking that probably it would be good to practise first on another boat before actually building the one I really want. :dunno:

Tandems are often referred to Divorce makers. :) Most people don't get along to well in a tandem. But there are exceptions to that.

To answer your question it depends on what you want. A real kayak to get out and put some miles down or just want to get out on the water and mess around? This boat, minus the fishing stuff will be a good Recreational Boat. Very stable but it's going to be on the slow side.

Finally, it is out of the shop and ready for the water. Unfortunately this stormy weather is not cooperating in the latter. Hoping to get it out this weekend for a little testing.

Had a couple of details to attend too. I like to add a rub strip on the bow so I can beach the boat without worry. I used a cheap plastic cutting board, cut it into thin strips.

cast-away-153-20.jpg

I painted the floor boards red just for a little contrast. I need to drive in the screws to hold it in place still.

cast-away-153-21.jpg

Here she is with the rod mounts in place.

cast-away-153-17.jpg

cast-away-153-18.jpg

Now it is just a matter or waiting on some decent weather to see how it paddles. Maybe the wind will die down this afternoon for a while but I am not counting on it.

Tandems are often referred to Divorce makers. :) Most people don't get along to well in a tandem. But there are exceptions to that.
Dunno about kayaks, but people have been paddling canoes in pairs for centuries. :dunno: Perhaps kayakers are too used to steering their own boat; in a canoe the person in the stern does the steering. Of course it helps if you're going to the same place. ;)

To answer your question it depends on what you want. A real kayak to get out and put some miles down or just want to get out on the water and mess around? This boat, minus the fishing stuff will be a good Recreational Boat. Very stable but it's going to be on the slow side.

I'll tell you in September. We're planning on doing an interior camping trip this summer. (Interior camping = Canoe in to a campsite, probably involves a portage or two. Everything fits in the canoe.) If it goes well, then that is what I'd want a canoe for. If not, it'd be mostly for a bit of recreational messing about.

In part, I think the building looks like a fun project! :thumb:

I have never paddled a tandem kayak so I am making some educated guesses. One thing is you are closer together and in a kayaks than in a canoe and that means you have to paddle synchronized with the other paddler or you're locking paddles. I think that is the main with tandems.

If you have a slow cadence paddler and your partner has a faster cadence someone or both has to adjust their style. If he front paddler slows or stops the rear one has to be paying attention not to cross paddles. With a canoe that is not a big issue since you are sitting in the far ends of the boats.

If you can get past that I can see where it would be great for a slow and faster paddler. It equalizes them so they can't run off and leave the other. Of course that could be draw back too. ;)

Stormy weather was MUCH worse than expected. We finally have power again and getting back to normal here. Since there was nothing we could do during the time the power was out Dan and I decided to go fishing. I figured it was a perfect time to test Cast Away. We launched at a State Park among all the downed trees.

cast-away-153-22.jpg

As I paddled around I snapped a photo to show the space in the boat. It's open and easy to store gear at you feet or place a fishing rod in the center of the boat while you paddle.

cast-away-153-23.jpg

Dan snapped a couple of photos of it on the water.

cast-away-153-24.jpg

cast-away-153-25.jpg

How does it paddle? In a word, I'M IMPRESSED! OK, that is two words but I really was impressed with it. I built 3 frames before I skinned this one, the previous 2 were not right. After paddling this one I know I made the right choice by not compromising.

Lets start with what I don't like first. I am not a big fan of open cockpits, because I paddle with a Greenland Paddle and they drip water like crazy. I was wet most of the time because of the constant stream of water off the paddle. A Euro paddle with drip rings would fix that, I just don't own one but I will! It would be a much better choice for this boat. Because of the constant dripping I had water inside the boat and I discovered the coamings prevent a lot of water from draining out when you flip it over

Very easy boat to paddle, it just cruised right along, but when I tried to pick up the pace it was like it hit a wall somewhere around 4-4.5 mph. I expected that so it was not a surprise.

It has very good tracking yet course corrections were easy. If you want to turn a little to the left you just leaned it to the right and it starts to turn.

Because it is rather high sided compared to my other designs I wasn't sure about how the wind would effect it. It was a little windy and there were some big gusts at times. While I could feel the wind pushing on the boat it still tracked straight. I could tell it was slipping just a little. All it took was to lean with the wind slightly and I could maintain my course.

Stability is good, should be no problem for anyone. You can cast and concentrate on your fishing and not keeping the boat upright. No problem reaching around to the get the rods or the tackle out of the milk crate. Keep in mind I didn't try to turn around, I just reached back and looked over my shoulder. Didn't twist around because the boat is not so stable it won't turn over!

I had hoped it was stable enough you could sit on the back deck and fish but that was not the case. I tried it but saw real quick it wasn't a good idea. It just raises the CoG to much.

Fishing out of it was great, very comfortable. Coaming was just the right height. Fishing was slow and I thought Dan was going go skunk me but I finally caught a few fish. This is what I was really wanting to catch. Love catching these guys on ultra-light tackle.

cast-away-153-26.jpg

cast-away-153-27.jpg

I know I'm going to love my canoe when it gets here!! What would you recommend (in your line) for ocean kayaks? My son is ok about the Stonefly, but he is thinking kayak. Sheltered bays mostly in Monterey, Ca. May end up with 3 boats!!

Bent, color has grown on me a lot. Still not exactly what I had in mind but it looks better than I thought it would. Getting it out of the shop and on the water I think it looks better. I really do not like the white deck for a fishing boat. It's not the glare but when you go to tie the line you have to find a darker area to even see the line. Or at least I do, but I am far sighted too.

Jim, I would need a little more info and would rather not answer that on here. I have been here since the beginning and we never wanted anyone advertising on here. I am cautious about posting the builds and try to keep if from sounding like a commercial.

If you or your son could post a little info over on the Kudzu Craft forum I would be glad to make some recommendations.