Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shaker Secretary/Computer Cabinet

Hanford, CA

Shaker Secretary/Computer Cabinet

Here is a design that I came up for our iMac patterned after a classic Shaker secretary. I don't get as much time in the shop as I used to, so this has been a long time in coming. I still need to shoot it with some pre-cat lacquer, but for now the BLO will have to do the trick. Just too cold in Michigan right now!!!

I made sure to cut all the door pieces from the same board so that the grain would match, not only on the panels, but on the styles and rails as well. I had to come up with a good code to keep all the pieces straight before gluing them up!

I cut the dovetails so that I could get the thinnest of pins. For some reason, that's my favorite look and what I'm used to cutting.

Some of the supplied screws were too long so I had to use my own. They were too shinny, so I used liquid gun blue to give them a nice antique look - a lot nicer looking than spraying them black. Makes for a nice trick.

That should about cover the bases. All the hardware came from either Whitechapel or Horton Brass.

I have a ton of construction pics at my blog. Feel free to check them out under the new work.

Thanks for looking!
    Wm. Jason Tuinstra

GTA Ontario Canada
    Jason there is only one word for this.....SWEET. Love it. Everything about it.

Really like it and the rest of your work on your website! I also checked out your tall cabinet in Fine Woodworking's Readers Gallery (Feb 2006).
    “When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    As usual a truly fine piece. I love your sense of design.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Whittier, CA, USA
    Very nice. I kept going back to look at it. Bravo!
    Dan Gonzales
    Whittier, CA, USA
    Dona nobis pacem

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    Jason, as I've said before, your stuff really appeals to me. It's exquisite. You have both extraordinary skills and taste. I have to say that between LOML and I and 2 bulldogs, a delicate piece like that wouldn't last 5 minutes in my house, but it belongs more in a museum anyway. I hope sometime you'll bring your crew up to Vancouver Island, and I'll trade a quilt for lessons .
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

Reno NV
    Only one word for that and it's "WoweeWooWa!" Love all of the details you got going there...

Indianapolis area
    Another beautiful piece Jason! Thanks for sharing.

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

new york city burbs
    top of the line craftsmanship. Inspirational work.

Ive enjoyed watching this project.

Whats next on the horizon?

Constantine, MI
    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk