Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avanti Pro 10" Blades

Avanti Pro 10" Blades

I got this at the local Home Depot this morning. 2 Avanti Pro 10" 60 tpi for $24.95. I haven't used the 10" on the tablesaw, but I have the 12" on my miter saw, works great.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2Blades.jpg  
    Jesus was a Woodworker

How old is your old Avanti? They don't seem to be the same as the ones that Freud made, before they sold the name to Home Depot, by what I have read (no experience, dad still has the old and a spare).

Quote Originally Posted by Randal Stevenson View Post
    How old is your old Avanti? They don't seem to be the same as the ones that Freud made, before they sold the name to Home Depot, by what I have read (no experience, dad still has the old and a spare).
    The one on my miter saw is about 6 months old.
    Jesus was a Woodworker

Chris Hatfield is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    That's a good deal.

Normally, I avoid the Avanti stuff because for about the same price or for only a couple of bucks more you can get the Italian Freud.

It's not my intent to take the wind out of the sails of anyone who's happy with these, but it's worth noting that Freud is no longer associated with the Avanti logo in any manner, and these are not made or marketed by Freud. Freud dropped the Avanti line in the June of 2009, though you may still find NOS in some stores.

I find it rather disturbing that the new "Avanti" and "Avanti Pro" logo of the blades now sold exclusively at HD looks nearly identical to the original Freud logo, and can be easily confused by unsuspecting consumers. Buyer beware. At $12 each they're probably fine as disposables for construction work, but aren't on par with the better blades intended for fine woodworking. These are not in the same league as anything Freud ever produced under the Avanti name, which were pretty nice blades for the price. I'm not sure who's making them, but they're made in China and heavily resemble the lower DeWalt construction series. If price is the driving factor, I'd suggest watching sale prices on something like the Oshlun, Craftex Blue Tornado, Kempston, Onsrud, or Hitachi blades, many of which are also made in China but offer better overall construction, better precision, and larger higher grade carbide that can be resharpened.
    Got Wood?

I'll have to check to see if they are the Pro or not but I bought 2 Avanti blades on a Rockler clearance sale about a year ago. They were $19.99 each. They work pretty darn good for an inexpensive blade.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer View Post
    I find it rather disturbing that the new "Avanti" and "Avanti Pro" logo of the blades now sold exclusively at HD looks nearly identical to the original Freud logo
    Me too. I don't know why but it bothers me at a basic level; they're just toooo similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gibson View Post
    I'll have to check to see if they are the Pro or not but I bought 2 Avanti blades on a Rockler clearance sale about a year ago.
    I picked up a few. They are the Freud blades like I have used for years.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 03-10-2011 at 01:22 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gibson View Post
    I'll have to check to see if they are the Pro or not but I bought 2 Avanti blades on a Rockler clearance sale about a year ago. They were $19.99 each. They work pretty darn good for an inexpensive blade.
    You got the real McCoy....Freud Avanti, made in Italy. Nice blades, great deal @ $20.
    Got Wood?

Quote Originally Posted by Randal Stevenson View Post
    Having worked for Home Depot vendors I am going to suggest that they didn't buy the name. Home Depot gets to a sales point with products that they demand to be the exclusive retailer for that product name. Being the 600 pound gorilla they contractually get the vendor to go for the deal. Manufacturing takes place as usual, but the product line will be adjusted in quality and price points to what Home Depot wants to sell.

Cheers,
    Dan Gonzales
    Whittier, CA, USA
    Dona nobis pacem

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gonzales View Post
    Having worked for Home Depot vendors I am going to suggest that they didn't buy the name. Home Depot gets to a sales point with products that they demand to be the exclusive retailer for that product name. Being the 600 pound gorilla they contractually get the vendor to go for the deal. Manufacturing takes place as usual, but the product line will be adjusted in quality and price points to what Home Depot wants to sell.

Cheers,
    Freud said they were eliminating the Avanti name (sold off), which used to be sold in Lowe's, not Home Depot. HD carries/d the Diablo, which is still made the same way. Home Depot, took a name over from a competitor, and in some cases got people who had good experience with the prior blades, to fall into something they may not have been happy with. I saw that as killing two birds with one stone, and just made the point to not expect what I have been used to from Freud. These may be fine blades for general construction use, just never used the China ones. (always used the Diablo or the higher end blades)