Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone built a computer lately????

Anyone built a computer lately????

I'm deep into the process of purchasing the parts. I got a HD and memory back in January while Corsair had a rebate on and Circuit City had a 10.00 off coupon on 100.00. (2 sticks of 4 GB for 8 gig total) Had been watching Amazon and a few other sites for the Intel motherboard and CPU I had decided on. Found a brick and mortar store in Dallas that had the I3 550 CPU for 99.99 plus tax. Lowest price a few weeks ago on Amazon was 114.95, and this past week was up to 155.00. Now at 127.95. We were in Dallas Sunday for the Celtic Festival with one of the rescue dogs, so was a no brainer to go pick this up. They were out of the case I wanted though, but gave me a price hold for when they get them back in. Came home and found another case, NZXT M59, for two dollars more, and free shipping. Since no tax, came out about two dollars less, and is a wild looking case!! Came in from work last night and figured I'd go ahead and order the motherboard (Intel DH55HC), from Amazon. It had been about 8.00 cheaper 7-10 days ago, but I procrastinated and missed it. After I read my emails, I went and looked one more time to see if anyone had it at a better price, then noticed I had another email. Newegg sent a 25.00 off 50.00> purchase email promotion for new customers. They had the board at the same price and same free shipping as Amazon. 25 off??? Another no brainer. Ordered 3 more fans to fill out the case from Amazon. Now I need to save a few more pennies for Windows 7 Pro 64 bit OS, and a DVD burner and I'll be set.
    The current system (and old PIII 600) will continue on as my shop computer. After I transfer what I need to save to the new computer, I'll wipe the hard drive and start over with very basic programs on it to keep it de-cluttered. I may put a wireless router in so I can get internet out there. We'll see. Guy at work said their old computer has it and he won't need it anymore and that I could have the old parts. May see if it is usable.
    Well, that's where I'm at. I really enjoy researching and shopping for electronics. I'm sure there are better prices out there, but I'm happy with what it looks like I'll be getting for the price I'm spending. Jim
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

I'm sure you already know this, but it's a fact of life that as soon as you buy any computer components, you'll find something better for less money.

Sounds like you're in the midst of a fun project. I did my last computer build about 3 years ago, so mine's way outdated now. (Actually, I've got a 3 GHz dual core Intel processor on a good Gigabyte motherboard, so it's still plenty for what I do.) I do need to bump my memory up from 2 GB, but it's not in the budget right now. Before I add memory, I'm keeping my eyes open for a good deal on an external drive to back up my 1 TB RAID array onto. If you happen see a 2 TB eSATA/USB2 external drive at a good sale price, let me know. I did upgrade from WinXP to Win7 (32 bit) a couple weeks ago, and I'm liking it a lot.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Here's one for less that $100

I have a 1 TB that I keep all my backup data on. If you change your system, just plug it in and it all there and ready to go!

Best Buy
    Last edited by Dan Mooney; 03-09-2011 at 04:23 AM.
    Jesus was a Woodworker

I built my music masheen a couple of years ago. 2.6ghz Quadcore AMD.

Just upgraded recently to add 4 more gigs of ram.

PC building is one of those things that takes a lot of research when you do it, and as soon as you buy the components, they are yesterday's news.

I'm just happy my music masheen is still doing a good job for me. If I never have to update the software, it'll last for another several years...

While I used to be able to do that, I think my next 2 computers are also going to be from Cupertino, joining the iMac we bought last spring. Have fun with the plug & play though!
    -Ned

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mooney View Post
    Here's one for less that $100

I have a 1 TB that I keep all my backup data on. If you change your system, just plug it in and it all there and ready to go!

Best Buy
    I've seen that one, but it doesn't support eSATA. USB2 is less than half the speed of eSATA. I've had my eye on this one, hoping to catch it or something similar on sale.

I like the speed and reliability of the RAID5 setup I'm using for my day-to-day data storage, but want an external single-disk copy of it for safekeeping (and for an easy way to transfer the data to the next build).
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

This is where my kids and me get all our components

http://ncix.com/
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Vaughn, do you have an account set up with New Egg? That's how I got the extra 25.00 off the motherboard. Has to be a new account and see if they send you the email they sent me. If you aren't signed up, worth a shot. I think I signed in 2 weeks ago, so may not work to sign up now as this promotion is over 3/20 or when the funds run out. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

For backups, I've got a Network attached storage device with two 1tb drives in a raid configuration. Basically everything is written to both disk. If one disk dies, you pop in a new one and it will recover and everything is safe.

I also save off to a 1tb external hard drive.

The drives are pretty cheap now
    1tb Drive

I use a little external dock for bare drives like this External Sata Dock

It works great and it feels good to have things backed up in multiple locations.

Vaughn, New Egg does show that has a 10.00 rebate. I know some hate dealing with rebates, but I've never had a problem getting them. Quick search shows that in Feb they were down around 75-80.00 at a couple places. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!