Thread: Wine Rack turning

Wine Rack turning

I met a guy from Canada that wants me to turn and carve into some logs he has. He has created holes in the log to hold wine bottles and thinks that if i turn them a bit and carve them up somehow that we could sell them. I have a picture below but im not sure about getting into this with him because they would be heavy, bulky and im not sure how they would sell.
    I think if I do that carving into them is the way to go and create some designs by carving them some oil finishing etc.........
    Anybody have any ideas on design ?? or carving????

Interesting ideas but we will have to see how it goes.......he can get alot of special types of logs for free from where he lives which is good and no transportation costs as he come down here regularly to live.......
    First you have to learn the rules - Beginner
    Then you have to learn advanced rules - Professional
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................

picture???
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

I'm not sure what you are meaning with turning and carving, but I have seen pieces of drift wood in a shop in Monterey that a wood worker had drilled holes at an angle of a size that would take a wine bottle neck, hung the logs from a decorative chain from the ceiling and created a wine rack that way.... I've thought about that myself a few times, but I think more than I act....
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Ill keep trying but the picture will not post.........anyway its like a log with holes bored into it to hole wine bottles - some with a flat top like you would expect from a cut log. The other kind is a fat branching with more holes to hold bottles. There would not be much to be done in the turning and im thinking about how and what to carve on the log itself.............still in the planning / idea stage I guess...............not sure if I want to get involved really so wondering if anyone is doing anything like this
    Anybody do anything like this
    First you have to learn the rules - Beginner
    Then you have to learn advanced rules - Professional
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................