Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Workshop in Progress

Workshop in Progress

I started making greenland kayak paddles for myself and a local kayak retailer. This peaked my interest in wood working. I thought I would start to organize my 2 car garage into a workshop that would still allow me to park 2 cars in there. I have a Ridgid TS3612 table saw ($300 used), Porter Cable 14" band saw ($399 new), Craftsman 10" miter saw (New cheap on sale), Freud FT2200 router (New, free from brother), and various power and hand tools. I hope to add a Dewalt 735 planer, a 4x36 belt sander, and a real dust collection system soon. I made a cantilevered miter saw bench on back wall of "my side" of the garage. I originally had a fold-down version on "her-side" but that didn't fly. I cantilevered the bench to allow me to drag stuff in and out from underneath of it and not be limited by a cabinet. After building the bench I added 2 supports to the saw section just because. The 2 lumber shelves above the bench are also cantilevered off of the wall studs. It is kinda crude but it works. I tend to build first and design, ahh, rather rebuild or modify second. The table saw and band saw can stay where they are unless I am cutting bigger sheets on the table saw.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pic1.jpg   pic2.jpg   pic3.jpg   pic4.jpg   pic5.jpg  

pic6.jpg   pic8.jpg   pic9.jpg   pic10.jpg   pic12.jpg  

John Davis

Constantine, MI
    First off, welcome to the forum!

That's a great looking, and large, space. The additions you've made so far look sturdy and well thought out. Keep us informed!
    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk

Reno NV
    Welcome John!

Looks like you've got the makings of a nice workshop there!

We've got another member on here who is pretty seriously into Kayaks.

I expect he'll be stopping by soon to say hello as well!

Santa Claus, In
    Great first post John. Shops looks good.
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you don’t know what tool to buy next, then you probably don’t need it yet.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Welcome to FWW. Looks like you are making a fine use of space. One of our other members, Jeff Horton, designs builds and sells kayak kits. Here is a link to his web site.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    Hi John: Welcome to the forum. Where are you from? Greetings from here on Vancouver Island where it stopped raining for a minute. You seem to have inherited a neat and tidy gene. Looks great!
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

Wow...that is a nice big place. Best of luck with it!

Delton, Michigan
    welcome and let us know where you are from and put it in your profile so we can drop by for a visit or you can us
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Kansas City, Missouri
    Welcome to the family John!

Looks like a great workspace you have, caught a couple of stealth gloats in your post as well...congrats.

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Table saw mounted router table

I am working on adding a router table to my table saw due to space limitations.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMGP0858.jpg   IMGP0857.jpg   IMGP0866.jpg   IMGP0868.jpg  
    John Davis