Workshop in Progress

John Davis

I started making greenland kayak paddles for myself and a local kayak retailer. This peaked my interest in wood working. I thought I would start to organize my 2 car garage into a workshop that would still allow me to park 2 cars in there. I have a Ridgid TS3612 table saw ($300 used), Porter Cable 14" band saw ($399 new), Craftsman 10" miter saw (New cheap on sale), Freud FT2200 router (New, free from brother), and various power and hand tools. I hope to add a Dewalt 735 planer, a 4x36 belt sander, and a real dust collection system soon. :wave:I made a cantilevered miter saw bench on back wall of "my side" of the garage. I originally had a fold-down version on "her-side" but that didn't fly. I cantilevered the bench to allow me to drag stuff in and out from underneath of it and not be limited by a cabinet. After building the bench I added 2 supports to the saw section just because. The 2 lumber shelves above the bench are also cantilevered off of the wall studs. It is kinda crude but it works. I tend to build first and design, ahh, rather rebuild or modify second. The table saw and band saw can stay where they are unless I am cutting bigger sheets on the table saw.

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 150
  • pic12.jpg
    pic12.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 129
  • pic10.jpg
    pic10.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 124
  • pic9.jpg
    pic9.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 135
  • pic8.jpg
    pic8.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 148
  • pic6.jpg
    pic6.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 143
  • pic5.jpg
    pic5.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 148
  • pic4.jpg
    pic4.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 158
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 162
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 160
First off, welcome to the forum!

That's a great looking, and large, space. The additions you've made so far look sturdy and well thought out. Keep us informed!

Welcome John! :wave:

Looks like you've got the makings of a nice workshop there! :thumb:

We've got another member on here who is pretty seriously into Kayaks.

I expect he'll be stopping by soon to say hello as well!

Table saw mounted router table

I am working on adding a router table to my table saw due to space limitations.

Attachments

• IMGP0858.jpg
    IMGP0858.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMGP0857.jpg
    IMGP0857.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMGP0866.jpg
    IMGP0866.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMGP0868.jpg
    IMGP0868.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 30
Router table for table saw

It should work well. I read a ton of threads of people who did this so thought I would try it for myself. I purchased 2 sheets for 2' x 4' MDF (I cannot carry a 4' x 8' sheet easily) for $20 and maple 1" x 2" 's for $1/LF. I cut 2 MDF panels to 24" x 25-1/2". After gluing them I cut the 4 slots to expose the bolt heads where it attaches to the table. After applying the maple edges (glued and screwed) I drilled the 2 holes for mounting to the T-slots and mounted it. Next came the routing the opening for the mounting plate. I am about halfway done. More next week.