Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Non woodworking project (pic heavy) updated

Non woodworking project (pic heavy) updated

My shop has been invaded. Nephew and I are completely redoing his 1800 Oliver farm tractor. Along the way its also getting a heart transplant. Getting rid of the original Waukesha 6 Cylinder gas engine (roughly 80 HP) and replacing it with a 1988 12 valve 5.9 Cummins. Of course since its this far along, new seals everywhere and paint while we are at it

Wade sitting next to whats left after the tear down, Thats just the transmission and rear end left. otice the poor woodworking tools have been shoved aside.

PTO has been removed along with the Rock shaft and load sensing for the 3 point hitch. Top left of the photo you see a white thing on the floor, that,s the wheel center. Solid cast and weigh about 500 pounds each

The new engine tub. The 5.9 won't fit in the Waukesha without extensive modifications. The replacement is from and 1850 Oliver that comes with a Perkins.

One of the Bearings out of the Tricycle front end steering. I think its junk Its getting new upper and lower bearings and seals

This is the tower for the steering. The bearing in the previous pic came from the bottom end of this

The new heart!! 1988 5.9 12 valve Cummins 180HP Cleaned up and ready for paint

Of course this meant some new tools, like the sandblast cabinet in the background and a new portable air compressor. Yes that was a tool gloat

New Clutch, pressure plate, PTO drive hub and flywheel where installed. These parts are all new. Since this engine was never offered in this tractor the parts where Supplied by AGCO and come from a White 140. Also had to change the flywheel housing so we had something to bolt the rear mounts to. It came from a Gradall forklift

Front cover was removed and fixed the Killer dowel pin. It's a lineup pin in the case that can come loose and fall into the timing gears. Not a good thing. Also had to add the side filler neck, Change the fan hub out, the tension bracket is different. Also had to get a shorter dipstick and the lower water neck has to be changed. Those parts where all Cummins. The round cover on the front gets changed out also. The Tach drive hooks up there. More Cummins supplied parts.

Lower right you can see one of the motor mounts we had to build

Right front mount. The big hole above it is where the new water neck goes

Final test fit. Everything lines up and bolted down. Of course it still has to come back out so I can run the new power steering and hydra power lines. Then paint the inside of the tub and the sides of the engine. you can also see the right rear engine mount I had to make.

Final test fit. The critical part is getting the PTO shaft lined up. If it isn't right bad things happen. Thats the PTO shaft in the middle. It's has splines in 3 places, First its has splines in the back of the flywheel at the PTO hub so it turns all the time, Then it has splines in the middle for the hydraulic pump drive and lastly it has splines in the PTO.
    Last edited by Robert Mickley; 03-24-2011 at 02:36 AM.
    Throw Apples out the Windows, but make sure not to hit the Penguin.

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it canít be done.

What a cool project! Looks like you're already making some great progress.

is thatt the old tractor that yu showed me that yu had just got rebuilt and it was trashed already with a spun bearing?? if so must be it died for good huh..i see your stayun busy???)))0
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Larry that was my 1750, pretty much the same exact tractor except for engine, the 1800 was gas the 1750 was diesel. It's still alive.

Of there is tons of work yet to do Brent and lots of cash to be spent getting it done. Never mind whats all ready been spent on it. It's well up over $4000 so far.

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it canít be done.

is it gonna be cost effective rob? must be for you to be this committed to it??
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I made sure to leave out the 'Why' and 'What are you gonna do with it' questions because I figured they were already way into the 'How' and the 'What does it need' and the 'When's

Not my place to ask them questions, just good enough for me to watch it come together and be something awesome someday!

Brent
    Why? Come on, we are guys, and because we can. What other reason would you need?

Actually its going to get used on the farm. It may make it to a couple tractor pulls

Larry
    Even figuring in $4500 paid for the tractor 6 years ago, we figure between $10,000 to $12,000. We couldnít buy a field ready 180HP tractor for that. Plus we will know exactly what we have when it's done.

My friends Kerry and Denise run a gasoline powered Oliver 88 for tractor pulls out of Cadiz, Kentucky. Always impresses me when I see it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jDeniseU...16/t6qFiJNNi-M
    Last edited by Dan Gonzales; 03-10-2011 at 03:45 AM.
    Dan Gonzales
    Whittier, CA, USA
    Dona nobis pacem

Dan, I have seen that tractor at pulls
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you donít know what tool to buy next, then you probably donít need it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mickley View Post
    Brent
    Why? Come on, we are guys, and because we can. What other reason would you need?
    I know! That's why I didn't need to ask 'Why'.

As in "Why do I have a '46 Chevy out back half restored". Because I'm lucky enough to have a wife who doesn't care, thats why!

"Why" is not a question that get's asked very often around here...