Thread: Bittersweet Gloat

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia

Bittersweet Gloat

I've been walking on my lip for the past few days. My son left yesterday after a 2 month stay with me to go back to Argentina where he has been living and working. I don't know when I'll see him next.......

So today I pulled myself together and figured I'd drown my sorrows in this place. It's the only place around here that has some exotic wood. And I bought a little piece of Zebrawood and a piece of Gum. Don't know which variety of gum tree it is, but I liked the way it looked. Chuck is going to come in and say the gum wood is ugly because of the different colors.... But I like it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	exoticsmarch9.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	54612

When I got home I found i'd received an order from this outfit that I had previously raved about. I thought it was nice that he added some sheets of very fine sandpaper and a sanding disk to the order for free. So I got my first shellac and some aniline dye. There were a couple of other things, but I can't show them to you because of the upcoming BOX SWAP.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	woodessenceshipment.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	54613

It finally stopped raining, and LOML will be home tonight. So all in all, things are looking up. well, sort of.
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

on the packages.

It stinks that he is going to be so far away.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

No grasshopper different color wood is just fine. One must take care of how they build with funny wood.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Cynthia sorry your son had to go, but as a father we know what will happen, no matter what we want as parents. Yes we say we want them to grow up and have a life of there own. Just don't want them to go very far.

Awww, it'll be ok. You'll see him again, I'm sure so just use that pretty wood and shellac and make him a christmas present...

Chin up...gotta make them miss you as much as you miss them.

Nice haul btw...
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Cheer up on the son bit, remember it could be worse, for instance...you could of been stuck with someone like me as your son

Sounds like vacation plans have a destination already picked out

&...I had a piece of gum yesterday, bubblelishous {sp.?} I believe, Mmmmm... btw, bubbles & beards don't go well together
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else

Congrats on the box of goodies, and congrats on raising a son who's independent and adventurous enough to do something like live and work in Argentina.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Kids

Hi Cynthia,

You remind me how much we enjoy having our two sons within 106 miles of us.

The best to you and your son and may his visits be much more frequent than you think they will be.

Enjoy,

Jim
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    Thank you for the kind words everyone. I just have to keep real busy the next few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    Chin up...gotta make them miss you as much as you miss them.
    I think he does, Darren. He was in worse shape than me when I dropped him off.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cook View Post
    Cheer up on the son bit, remember it could be worse, for instance...you could of been stuck with someone like me as your son

Sounds like vacation plans have a destination already picked out
    Ken, you're probably a good son. And no, not really, I don't much like to travel. The last thing I want is to sit on a plane for 1000 hours to fly to Argentina. Maybe you could go for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Congrats on the box of goodies, and congrats on raising a son who's independent and adventurous enough to do something like live and work in Argentina.
    Thanks for that, Vaughn. Ah yes, that's the bittersweet part. I created a couple of monsters. The little one (21) isn't much better. She's already volunteered in the Dominican Republic and traveled around Europe with 2 girlfriends. She's already planning to go to Australia before grad school. And BTW, the kids pay for their own shenanigans, not Mom. She seems to get a lot of big tips as a waitress....I'm not sure why....

This reminds me of a story. Some time back, a friend's son asked me to help him find a better job. Age 18, strong, unattached, and *really* needed to earn some money. So I pulled some strings and got a friend to offer him a job in the oil patch. And not a death-defying rig job. And under the wing and close supervision of my friend. And starting at $200/day with the potential to earn up to $400/day within a month or two. But in the field. 3 weeks in and 1 week out. All living expenses paid. "No," he told me. "I can't be away from home." I thought what planet is he living on? I couldn't believe it. Just not in my philosophy.
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie