Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Todays Auction Finds . . . .

Todays Auction Finds . . . .

Went to the local estate auction here this afternoon and we got a little crazy.

The mood was set when I was waiting around for them to sell an older Craftsman 6 drawer rolling tool cabinet. They finally get to it and I hear 20, 25, 30, 35 SOLD. In about 6 seconds. Their tempo is usually MUCH slower. I was still trying to raise my hand at that point. Oh well...

Later on there was a wooden machinists chest that I was able to purchase. It's a National Cabinet Co. chest which if what I read on the googleweb it was Gerstner's value line. It's really dirty and I need some guidance on cleaning it up. The finish on the case is pretty much gone and I'm not sure what to do with it and what I should clean it with. Windex and paper towels are removing tons of dirt but no finish so far.

LOML purchased what was described as a short barrister book case. The 2 doors flip up but do not slide back into the case.

I then spent $5 on the wooden rocker and LOML spent $5 on the pair of wooden "Burl" baskets.

I'm looking at cleaning up the chair and if I don't like it selling it in the Townwide Garage Sale we enrolled in in Early May. That how we will get rid of the "Barrister" and some of the curbside shopping items we have picked up over the years.

Cheers

Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2762 (Medium).jpg   IMG_2760 (Medium).jpg  
    Last edited by Jim Mattheiss; 03-11-2011 at 01:58 AM.

Bigger pics of the baskets please, those look cool!!

Nice finds all around
    Throw Apples out the Windows, but make sure not to hit the Penguin.

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it canít be done.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    for the clean up on the chest get some Murphy's oil soap. Wonderful stuff.
    "Thereís a lot of work being done today that doesnít have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesnít have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    Wonderful. That sounds like great fun. I like all the purchases. I've always loved rocking chairs. I still have a little wicker one that was mine when I was 4.
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

Nice haul, Jim.

Those baskets look like Chinese carved cedar baskets. You got them for a good price. I did a show a couple years ago where there was a Chinese guy a couple booths down from me selling baskets like that for $20.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Nice haul, Jim.

Those baskets look like Chinese carved cedar baskets. You got them for a good price. I did a show a couple years ago where there was a Chinese guy a couple booths down from me selling baskets like that for $20.
    Oh that's got to really help the sales...

If the finish on the case is pretty much gone, I would consider cleaning it with denatured alcohol until you didn't see any color or gunk and revarnish. I learned about that when a neighbor had a fire and his (family heirloom) dining table was smoke damaged.

I would like to see an open picture of the fake barrister bookcase (how does the lid stay open). I would love to build one for my computer (taller) books. (project list)

Great finds Jim
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    Oh that's got to really help the sales...
    Actually, I don't think it had much effect. I noticed that the people who spent time in my booth tended to just walk by his booth without slowing down. And his customers walked by my booth like it was invisible. At the end of the weekend, the Chinese guy and I compared notes, and we both had about the same dollar amount of sales for the weekend. He just did about 10 times the volume.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Jim if you would like to know the proper way of cleaning the Chest {bty..I want it LOL} Start a tread in Finishing to go through the process.
    Your rocker may be a Stickly I have one that looks just like it.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com