Worksharp Wide Blade Attachment - Shop Made

glenn bradley

I think a few of us on here have the Worksharp. I really like this thing as I have no freehand sharpening ability to speak of. I started to restore an old plane that, of course, had an iron wider than 2". I had seen variations on this idea and being lazy, rendered it down to as simple as I could get it and have it remain functional :eek:.

I adapted it to the storage box/stand that I built here. The jig bolt-knobs thread into t-nuts on the inside of the case. The holes in the table sides are over-sized to allow me to adjust for level and different abrasive thicknesses. Once the glue dries in the rabbets overnight I'll knock the sharp edges off and throw a coat of shellac on it to match the base.

Attachments

• WS3K-Wide-Table 001.jpg
    WS3K-Wide-Table 001.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 234
  • WS3K-Wide-Table 002.jpg
    WS3K-Wide-Table 002.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 219
  • WS3K-Wide-Table 003.jpg
    WS3K-Wide-Table 003.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
Glenn you never cease to inspire me. :thumb::thumb: Seeing you with a worksharp has me thinking after all the effort and sanpaper i just recently been through.:)

So how did it do on the blade. Got a pic of the finish on the bevel?

Got a pic of the finish on the bevel?

The glue should be dry by after work tonight. I'll run it through the grits and post a pic.

Did you make plans, or just eyeball it?

Sketch Up is your friend. This fit mine, YMMV.

ws3k-table-SU-2D.jpg

Super simple. Made it last night after work. Ripped the 5-11/16 strip from a piece of scrap 3/4" BB ply, cut sides to length and rabbeted them, cut top to fit. Ba-Da-Bing.

Last edited:
Got a pic of the finish on the bevel?

As promised, Here's the Veritas MK-II (that I use on my Scary Sharp setup) in position.

WS3K-Wide-Table-plane-iron-.jpg

About 4 minutes at 100 grit as the edge I had previously put on it was way off of 90*. Took a little bit to establish the geometry and the time includes breaks (went in the house to grab a cup of coffee) to assure I didn't over heat things.

WS3K-Wide-Table-plane-iron-100g.jpg

Under a minute at 120 grit.

WS3K-Wide-Table-plane-iron-120g.jpg

Under a minute at 400 grit.

WS3K-Wide-Table-plane-iron-400g.jpg

Under a minute at 1000 grit.

WS3K-Wide-Table-plane-iron-1000g.jpg

Under a minute at 3600 grit.

WS3K-Wide-Table-plane-iron-3600g.jpg

All that and my coffee was still warm :thumb:

Last edited:
Thanks Glenn, I particularly am grateful for you doing it in the stages.

Boy i now gotta get one of those on my list.;)

I have also been thinking of upgrading my honing guide.

Thanks for the pics and sharing the whole build.:thumb:

Looks really great. Need to build my version, it would be a good use of this MDF and 2x4 I have lying around.

Hmm...sounds like a good Sunday afternoon project.

Glenn also made a proto-type lathe tool holder to sharpen gouges on the WorkSharp. He does not have a lathe. I sharpen my gouges with a homemade Wolverine type of device. Therefore I did not pursue what Glenn made, nor did he. Someone else on FWW did make one and it took care of the getting back to the original position in the holder (after removal to use for turning) problem. It does work fine. It probably costs a buck to make. It works on the WorkSharp.

I will look for old photos. I know they are not on this computer.

Enjoy,

JimB