The events of the first couple of months of 2011
Australia. Floods on huge scale.
Japan today tsunami of incredible scale.
Will you be ready if something unplanned or unexpected happens to your family?
The boy scout motto has always been " be prepared"
If ever there was reason to have a plan B now is the time to get motivated to really deal with this subject.
To me there are several layers to this issue
1) Immediate survival ... Food water,shelter basic medical supplies not just a Mickey mouse first aid kit,footware ,etc
2) what next.... Money...hard cash on hand not in the bank or under the mattress but in your kit ready to go.
3) precious personal items...plan?
Here I view online backup as cheap insurance for securing all our pictures and home video. Back in the day this was not possible but today it's easy and not expensive.
Computer info such as documents etc
We have so many small business folk that are using software to run all sorts of businesses right down to quick books. But I hear those that say I have it backed up to an external harddrive .. Agree but what if you are away from home at the time of the emergency or if you get seperated from your hard drive a very real possibility in an emergency when pure survival is on your mind.
Then comes all your paperwork and identity stuff.
Scanning this stuff encrypting it and backing up offline will ensure you can recover if you survive but your plan should consider what if don't but a family member does?
I have been ragged on more than one occasion by many of my friends over the years because I practice the "boy scouts outlook" and I am not gonna be waiting for someone else far away to come save me.
Yes there is a cost to this no question .
But you buy insurance and pay for it continuously and they won't even be able to help you in the early stages of an emergency. Then when they do you got hope they don't hide under the force majeur rock of " act of God"
Then comes the ...dreaded deductible clause..which comes back to have you got cash on hand???
This only becomes the beginning.
Now your a small businessman what is your business disaster recovery plan?
Have not met one company yet that actually has a plan of any kind.
If you consider the issues today ...
- something happens in other parts of the world today and it affects you today immediately in ways you never imaginedl
- food .... Much is even made in other countries or grown elsewhere. Australia is a huge wheat producer but the crops were all spoilt with the floods and rains.
- products no longer locally manufactured
- financial impacts of being globally connected
- online business will rely on being able to switch locations imagine if you cannot ship product because of closure of a major airport or port?
The list goes on but how many of us deal with this?
So my question to you, in your family you are the leader and head of your family , what steps have you taken? How effective in reality is your preparation??
You think like many that it's not going to happen to you????