Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I know nothing!....about tools

I know nothing!....about tools

Alright, so being the young guy i am, and my dad being as creative a sack of hammers. Didn't have the whole father son woodworking projects that some of you may or may not have had. I know jack about tools, all I have is a list of what a fully stocked workshop would have but for now I probably be better going for "beginner level." I'm on a low budget since my dad doesn't buy anything that isn't for himself.

What I'd be fine with is just some cheap tools that will last a few years till I'm out of college and can buy some more expensive durable ones. Of course with my obsession for keeping things neat and clean, cheap tools could last a long while.
    Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    Oscar Wilde

First, what do you want to build?
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you donít know what tool to buy next, then you probably donít need it yet.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Chris, ya don't need a fortune to turn out some great pieces. I would look towards the used tool market. You can save a lot of money and get some great tools. Look on craigs list etc. Also look at hand tools to start out.
    "Thereís a lot of work being done today that doesnít have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesnít have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

i would rather look for used deals on quality tools....tune them up myself...last a lifetime...

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    Do you know what type(s) of woodworking you'd like to do? And can you give us a hint about how much you'd like to spend initially?

And I didn't grow up in a woodshop either. When I told my family I was taking it up, I heard things like "ridiculous" "preposterous" "impossible". It's a learned skill. Anyone can learn it.
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

another vote for craigs list and we do need to know what yu want to make it will help in the deciding on what we feel yu need now..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Kris, I built an armoire, some tables, 30 adirondack chairs, outdoor lounge chairs, and 4 or 5 outdoor sets of furniture with a 99 dollar ryobi table saw and a 99 dollar ryobi mitre saw.
    I had a few hand held tools but purchased a battery operated ryobi set.

You can pick up tools to start used for incredible prices. Tag sales. Estate sales, garage sales, craigs list, and ask all your friends at college.
    Maybe someones dad or grandfather has some old tools he doesnt use anymore, and its perfect to get started.

April and may is a big time for garage sales, so watch the local papers.

My local pennysaver, has a section finds under 100 dollars, and I often see power tools listed there.

I'd be building a wide range of things, the first endeavor is a workbench. The 2nd will be refinishing and adding/removing pieces of an old desk. It'll probably be a workshop full of hand made stuff, no prebought stuff can fill my need to make stuff match e.g. red bench, black desk...yuck So all i can say is really just expect me to build it all lol. Besides craigstlist are there an other sites that would be good, also is their a brand name that would be good to focus on?

Thanks for your help...hmmm wonder if there is a pennysaver in our paper.
    Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    Oscar Wilde

Chris have you had a go at any projects yet even with Dads basic tools?

My suggestion is start with hand tools.
    In my view get the basics under your belt just like some of us got at school back in the day.
    If you want to follow down this road then get a few choice tools either used good stuff or new.
    Here is my list if I were in your shoes
    1) square. $12.00 empire tool 6 inch
    2) hand saw maybe a tennon saw but a large one.
    3) no. 5 jack plane
    4) set of chisels
    5) make your own mallet as a starter project
    6) Cordless drill
    7) set of screw drivers
    8) decent tape measure
    9) decent 18 inch or 12 inch steel rule
    10) some clamps
    11) some lumber to make a work bench
    12) the a woodworking vice for the bench
    13) you will need some clamps but I don't know what I would recommend here

The with that lot you can do a ton of projects and get to learn the basic joints and techniques

Look for a post school part time class at the college get taught a few basics so you don't pick up bad habits that become hard to get rid of later.

Do a fair bit of reading and asking here and you will be off to a great start.
    Most of all make it fun and have fun doing.
    I find woodworking very relaxing and rewarding and I sure most here do too.
    cheers

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    My suggestion is start with hand tools.
    Here is my list if I were in your shoes
    1) square. $12.00 empire tool 6 inch
    2) hand saw maybe a tennon saw but a large one.
    3) no. 5 jack plane
    4) set of chisels
    5) make your own mallet as a starter project
    6) Cordless drill
    7) set of screw drivers
    8) decent tape measure
    9) decent 18 inch or 12 inch steel rule
    10) some clamps
    11) some lumber to make a work bench
    12) the a woodworking vice for the bench
    13) you will need some clamps but I don't know what I would recommend here
    Kris, to Rob's list I would add a spiral notebook and some pens/pencils to write down what you need, your wish list, your measurements of whatever your working on etc. I couldn't function without one.

For clamps I suggest starting with at least 2 quick release plastic clamps, the bigger the better.

For a drill, don't get a tiny light-weight one. I find mine never has enough torque for what I want to use it for.

Lots of people more experienced than me are going to weigh in here, but I've just started, and I already realize the mistakes I've made on purchases.

Like Allen said, for power tools, I'd start with a miter saw and a table saw.

For a miter saw, you don't need a big fancy dual bevel 12" sliding one. A 10" single bevel would suit you for a long time.

For a table saw, if you're not sure of your commitment, get a smaller "contractor" type saw. If you're committed then get the best one you can afford. In short order, assuming you want to use some power tools, you'll find it's the most important tool in the shop.

And I'd add a circular saw. I have 2 but prefer the smaller lighter one whenever possible. It only has a 4 3/8" blade.

After you're comfortable with those tools, the next ones I'd add are a drill press and a router.

I suggest hanging around here as much as possible, asking questions, and watching lots of youtube videos. I quite like the "woodwhisperer" ones. If you send me a PM with your address, I'll send you a couple of beginner books that I've outgrown.

For finding used stuff, I'd also recommend a Habitat for Humanity "Re-store" that often has tools. Don't know if you're near a big city that has one or not. I also suggest telling everyone you know that you're interested in acquiring some used tools....you might be surprised at what you come up with. And follow the classifieds here.....you never know.

I hope this helps.
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie