Home for my Crossley

Julio Navarro

I needed a nice piece to put my Crossely, a Christmas present from about three years ago. I finally decided on a simple side table sort of piece.

Here are the pictures from that build. It had been a while since I had done anything but I think it came out nice.

My visitor is a momma cardinal that comes and preens herself in my car mirror. She ignores me but gives me a look as if saying, "you just stay inside that garage." I almost never see the male.

This was an easy fun project.

Attachments

• a1057e.jpg
    a1057e.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 90
  • k1075e.jpg
    k1075e.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 108
  • j1074e.jpg
    j1074e.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 84
  • i1073e.jpg
    i1073e.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 82
  • h1069e.jpg
    h1069e.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 80
  • g1068e.jpg
    g1068e.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 90
  • f1066e.jpg
    f1066e.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 84
  • e1064e.jpg
    e1064e.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 91
  • c1059e.jpg
    c1059e.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 85
  • b1058e.jpg
    b1058e.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
The finished piece

I had a difficult time with the finish. It is a dark mahogany with a satin polyurethane. The wood is birch from one of the big box stores.

Now my Crossely has a home.

Attachments

• l0024e.jpg
    l0024e.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 102
I had a difficult time with the finish. It is a dark mahogany with a satin polyurethane. The wood is birch from one of the big box stores.

Now my Crossely has a home.

And a fine looking home it is! You did a very nice job on it.

BTW, I've never seen Birch at a big box store. All the ones around here only carry pine, oak and poplar. Obviously your table isn't pine or oak, but are you sure it's not poplar? Just curious...

Crosley

Hi,

I really hate to admit this---I will go into why first.
When I was in high school and beginning college, I repaired radios (Had a radio shop), built high-fidelity sound systems, etc.

However, when I read about a place for a Crosley, my first thought was the Crosley automobile (If you can remember those you are probably too old.). The car was a very small, inexpensive, low status, means of transportation.

I say, "Low Status" because that was back in the depression era. Everyone, except the very rich, was poor. People tried to let on that they had more than they had. Now if you had a Chrysler or a Cadilac you had "status." If you had a car, you were upper class. However, if you had a Crosley you were on the bottom of that upper class group.

Sounds a bit like today. However, today you can have a choice of a great many status builders (the computer from heck, I-pod, 400 HP Harley, swimming pool, Jaguar, etc., etc.) that were not available then. Then, it was pretty much your house and/or your car.

Good grief, I am rambling again,

Good Night and Enjoy,

Jim

PS I sure like YOUR Crosley. I assume it is from the era of 2A3s, 80's, and their cousins (that sentance is Greek to non-radio tech people).

That came out looking great, Julio. :thumb: Like Glenn said, it fits right in.

Jim, the Crosley radio Julio has is a modern era solid state affair. It looks old, but it's got new electronics. Not a lot of tube CD players around. :D

I've gone through a fair number of 6L6GCs and 12AX7s myself. :p These days, I'm using all digital guitar gear, though.