My first plane

Chris Hatfield

Former Member (by the member's request)
It's not something most of you consider, but I wanted something cheap to learn some basics. Also, this was a bit of an impulse buy due to the price.

It's a Stanley SB4 bench plane, nothing extravagant or elegant, but it will get me started. Worked with it for a few minutes to get some curlies.

Some cruddy pics...

1862d0f9-f6c3-09f2.jpg
1862d0f9-f6d7-d7f1.jpg
1862d0f9-f6eb-e9b1.jpg
1862d0f9-f6fd-0d51.jpg

Don't think I'm very good at it, but it's very pleasing. First pics are from poplar, the floor pic is from a 2x4. Have to find the maple I have. This is right out of the package with slight adjustments, no sharpening.

Chris there is nothing wrong with that plane. Just give it a tune up. You already got shavings, go back and sharpen that bevel and check if the sole is flat. Bingo you got a great plane. I think its a very good point to start at. I like to think of it the way i started fishing. Never had the fancy gear and we used brown bread and honey as bait on a standard hook. No lure.
Learnt to catch fish and in time upgraded to worms. Now i flyfish.

Same with tools. :) Go for it, good to see some guys coming over to the flatworkers side. Puts balance back in our lives here.;)

Enjoy the new plane.:thumb:

It was kinda tongue in cheek. I had the opportunity to get a #4 refurbished before Christmas for $50 but I haven't seen the guy since. For $20, I thought this would be a decent start.

I don't have anything to check the flatness right now (missing what I would use), but seemed to be pretty flat. Does need a good sharpening, I'll get to that tomorrow perhaps.

Today was a hand tool day, I built a little caddy for my Hex wrenches via all hand tools.

1862d0f9-0ebc-3da4.jpg

Put the blade on the WS today and I think I have it dialed in pretty well. It's so much fun.

Now, to learn how to use it in a manner that will be productive.

About 15 years ago i bought a Stanley 220 block plane new from the store. I remember it cost me about $30. It was my first plane and works great. I still use it often, even though i've added a variety of others to the arsenal - some expensive new tools, others rusty paper weights that i cleaned up and adjusted. The old Stanley is a good, underated tool in my opinion. Sure, it's not made with the finest materials and machined to the n'th degree, but it's solid with a good blade and a tight, predictable adjustment mechanism with little to no backlash. I know Stanley doesn't make "high end" tools, but my experience is they make a good serviceable tool.

I've spent hours trying to tune up planes that were absolute garbage (a Buck smoother, a Kunz scraper plane, and an old warped Union). Now that's a waste of time. The Stanley's i've seen i wouldn't put anywhere near that category.

Have fun with it. Know that it's probably the first of many you'll own and use.

paulh

Nice find on the plane Chris.

One thing to mention and you may have that blade extracted in the pic, but don't park it on the sole if the blade is extended, lay it on it's side. Nothing will dull that blade faster than setting it down on it's face with the blade sticking out. Most plane boxes/storage that you'll see have a 1/4" strip inside that keeps the blade from contacting the bottom of the box. :wave: