DNA experiment

Chuck Thoits

Ok on 2/25 I put these guys to soak. I let them soak until today. So they soaked for 16 days.
I took them out this morning and let them flash off. This afternoon I wrapped them and weighted them.

Attachments

• tn_DNA 001.JPG
    tn_DNA 001.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 55
  • tn_DNA 007.JPG
    tn_DNA 007.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 53
  • tn_DNA 006.JPG
    tn_DNA 006.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 53
  • tn_DNA 005.JPG
    tn_DNA 005.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 56
  • tn_DNA 004.JPG
    tn_DNA 004.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 50
  • tn_DNA 003.JPG
    tn_DNA 003.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 51
  • tn_DNA 002.JPG
    tn_DNA 002.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 53
Sounds like a plan Chuck. I had some bowls soaking that I had forgotten for about 12 days. No harm done and they dried pretty well. I kept a running weight log on them. Yours will probably take slightly longer to dry but my bowls stopped losing weight after 15 days. I left them for a extra week for good measure and they came out fine.

I don't like that you have them wrapped up so tight.
I'd suggest dipping each end (about 1") in Anchorseal, and then leaving the sides open to breathe.

I generally wrap my bowls in a paper bag, sometimes with sawdust inside.. I use the freezer bags that Wal-Mart has at the end of their freezers... they're heavy enough to be re-usable and also will allow the pieces to breath a little. Haven't used the DNA method much lately... most of my wood has been sitting long enough to be pretty dry...

Today was weigh in day
The first one that weighed 54.7 oz now is at 43.2 oz. It lost 11.5 oz
The second one that was at 40.8 oz now is at 29.8 oz. It lost 11 oz
the last one that was at 45.7 oz now is at 34.4 oz. It lost 11.3 oz
So they are drying pretty much at the same rate all losing right around 11 oz

Last edited:
Today was weigh in day
The first one that weighed 54.7 oz now is at 43.2 oz.
The second one that was at 40.8 oz now is at 29.8 oz.
the last one that was at 45.7 oz now is at 34.4 oz.
I missed a weigh in update on 4/1.
So the one that weighed 43.2oz weighed 41.1 on 4/1 now it weighs 40.4 oz
The one that weighed 29.8 oz weighed 27.5 on 4/1 now it weighs 27 oz
And the one that weighed 34.4 weighed 32 on 4/1 now it weighs 31.2 oz
I think these are dried out so I'm going to open them up and finish them.:thumb:

Here they are. i think if I was to do this again I would take Sue's advice and at least seal all the end grain.

Attachments

• tn_dry 007.JPG
    tn_dry 007.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 18
  • tn_dry 006.JPG
    tn_dry 006.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 19
  • tn_dry 005.JPG
    tn_dry 005.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 22
  • tn_dry 004.JPG
    tn_dry 004.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 22
  • tn_dry 003.JPG
    tn_dry 003.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 21
  • tn_dry 001.JPG
    tn_dry 001.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Yep...the DNA speeds up the drying, but the rules about not letting the end grain dry faster than the rest of the wood are still in
play. ;)

I filled the cracks with epoxy. So we will see how they hold up in the field testing.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

attachment.php

Attachments

• tn_jeep doors 003.JPG
    tn_jeep doors 003.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 67
Very interesting. I continue to be given local plum but have nothing but trouble drying it. My last batch, rough turned and then soaked in DNA for several hours and then coated the outsides completely with anchor seal. This was three weeks ago. I live in the Wet Coast of Canada and placed them under a deck but exposed to air movement. No checking yet. I don't weigh them or anything, usually just wait for several months or longer if I am busy before turning. Will let you know how I make out. I think next time I'll try to just coat the end grain instead of the whole outside and possibly then put in paper bags to try to slow the drying down.

Pete
http://www.woodbowlsandthings.com

For what it's worth Peter...fruit wood is horrid to try to dry. With the exception of olive (not sure if it's a fruit or not, but for this discussion...) I have had nothing but disaster. Almond is the worst but none of then do very well.