How do I build wagon wheels?

Tom Baugues

I want to build a cart for my street organ. I would like to have wooden spoke wheels but cannot find any information on how to do it myself. I think I want them to have bearings in the hub and only about 12-14 inches across. I'm looking for something funtional but I'm no master builder so simple is better. Does anyone have any ideas or links?

Chuck, I have looked at those. They are about $70.00 each. That's a little steep for me.
Ben, I have seen those but those plans tell you that this design is for decoration only and not for actual use.

Last edited:
Chuck's site has some great pictures.

I couldn't find any free plans that were worthwhile. I did, however, find some pretty good free plans for a ship's wheel--another spoked wooden wheel. I suspect the theory is very similar--maybe need something more stout if you're going to ride on it, but there are some good burst diagrams.....here.

http://www.amishwares.com/site/1504461/page/4105876
Not really a how to but has some good pics
I'm looking to build/buy a set for the brownie lady's cart.:thumb::thumb:

That was very interesting... with that set up, the first wheel will cost only about $200K.... the second will be a little cheaper maybe... I remember my dad "fixing" the wheels on his wagon a few times... don't know that he ever actually ever made a wheel though. ('Til I was about 5 or 6 our primary mode of transportation was a spring wagon pulled by a team of mules. In 1946 or 47 my dad picked up a Model 'A" Ford coupe - a 2 seater... pretty crowded for a family of 5.)

Hey Tom, if you'd like, your welcome to these two that have been hanging around here for ages...They're intact though need attention, IE: re-tightening, and new tire/bands{weather checked}...but even as is would make for a templet so to speak, either visually as is or disassembled...I'd be happy to send them to you as it would be one less 'project' nagging at me{lol}...PM me your info if you want them postage paid knowing they'll be used somehow.

BTW, they are approx. 15" across