Vacuum for Router

Tom Blank

My shop is the garage, so dust and chip control is an issue. I have a shop vac (2 1/2" hose) which works OK on the TS as both saw and vac are stationary.

I just got a router and am thinking that the 2 1/2" hose is pretty stiff to have to fight with while moving a router around a workpiece.

Anyone have the smart fix for that problem?

Thanks,

Tom

Put the router in a table and move the work piece, much easier than holding the router. Once in the table, hook the vac hose to the router table fence.

Look around and check out home build router tables, most have a provision for the vac hose.

Tom...

What router? The Bosch 1617 series had a dust port that surrounds the bit. Several have edge guides. Dewalt 621 series has built in dust collection, but all of these solutions, use a smaller shop vac hose (1 1/4 from memory).

Also consider a clamp with a bungee holding the hose up out of the way. (or some other way of holding the hose overhead)

I have one on a Safety Speed Cut Dadoing machine running a 3 1/4hp PC router, and I have to say it does not pick up everything, but it is not all that bad. The stuff it misses is the chips that run back down the dado at speed. Not enough air flow through that hole in the lower plate would be my guess.

Maybe I should try enlarging the lower hole?

Larry

Thank You

I think between Glen's link using a smaller diameter hose and the adapter to step up to the shop vac hose (a 382 and a 444), held out of the way using Randals' overhead bungee will do what I was thinking.

Don and Tom H, Do you guys get all your router work done on a table? I was expecting there to be some types/styles of cuts that would work better freehand.

Thank you all for advising a newby,

Tom B