Thread: drive belt for Powermatic 3520A

drive belt for Powermatic 3520A

I have a Powermatic 3520A model lathe. The lathe is going on 8-years old. As a professional turner the lathe is used nearly every day. Yesterday, while moving the drive belt from the high speed to the low speed setting I looked at the condition of the drive belt. Even though the original belt seemed in good shape I thought it might be a good idea to have a spare belt on hand.

In my parts manual the Powermatic part number is 6077228. This appears to be the same belt for the newer 3520B model.

I did a search for a source for this belt and came up with this link;

http://www.toolsandmachinery.com/pow...28-257955.html

They want $82.50 for this belt !!!

On my old belt I can read these numbers;

Dayco 260J and also this number 2203

Doing a search for Dayco 260J I have come up with much cheaper prices.
    Here for $17.51; http://www.sportsmith.net/productsea...s=dayco%20260J

I also found one price as low as $4.99. It seems this belt is a drive belt for a fitness walker.

Before I take a chance and buy one of these cheaper belts can anybody tell me a good source for this belt?

Thanks in advance.

Terry,
    Call the Belt Store in Lafayette, LA.... they have belts for about every thing down there or can fit just about anything.... I bought 3 belts for my Jet lathes... I have a 1014 and 1442 and the 3 belts for each plus cost less than 1 from Jet... and they carry name brand belts... the belts for my 1442 lathe is the same brand name as was on the original.
    Phone nr: 337-235 9736 fax: 337-235 9030
    Web site: www.beltsforanything.com

I think you have to call them, don't think you can buy off the web....the lady that answers the phone is very knowledgeable and very helpful.

disclaimer: no affiliation, just a very satisfied customer.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Dayco is one of the standard belt manufacturer like Gates and a few others. Look in the yellow pages under Bering Distributors and call one of the local bearing houses, they probably got one on the shelf.
    "Thereís a lot of work being done today that doesnít have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesnít have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    Terry, have you had an OFFICIAL Welcome to the forum? Great to see you posting. Delighted to have you here.
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

As a follow up to my original post. I contacted vbelts4less and they had the correct belt in stock. Their website is http://www.vbelts4less.com They are part of Belarus Tractor International. 800 356 2336. They had over 30 belts in stock.

You can order over the phone, but there is an additional $5 fee.
    You can order directly from their website.
    Their part number for the belt is 260J10.

The cost of the belt is $4.64. I still canít believe one source charges $82 and another charges $90.75 for the same belt.

I just took the new belt and compared it side by side to the original belt. They are identical. The belt is a 26 inch long belt with 10 ribs. If you measure the belt on the outside with a tape you will get a length of 26 ĺ inches.
    Thanks to everyone that posted.

I'm not sure which would fit my Jet lathes, but the prices looked even lower than where I do get my belts... thanks for the link.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.