Computer software vendor question...

Jim O'Dell

OK, so I'm to the point in my computer build that I need the OS. I have settled on Win 7 Pro 64 bit. Figured for the price I would try the OEM version. It has been about 140.00 most places. Got an email for a weekend special at New Egg for 125.00 with a promo code. Figured I'd bite the bullet and order it today. Last night looking through, seeing if Amazon had changed their price any, and saw an ad on their site for a company called: softech4you.com. They sell the full retail version of the Win 7 Pro for 90.00!! Sounds great but it also raises some big RED FLAGS. I was visitor #560 when I first entered their site last night, 576 this morning.
So, finally my question...Has anyone here heard of them? I've emailed them to find out where the company is located and if they are affiliated with a local Better Business Bureau. Know of a way to be able to check them out on line? I tried resellerratings.com, but they aren't listed there. Thanks!!! Jim.

Last edited:
Red flag is right. ;)

Quick glance at their website raises several flags. The contact e-mail address is using a free Windows Live account instead of a company e-mail domain...the answers on the "Questions" page are semi-literate and unprofessional...the softech4you.com domain was created in January 2011...the website is a canned template...the heading on the "Products" page says "Productos".

Something smells fishy to me.

So, finally my question...Has anyone here heard of them? I've emailed them to find out where the company is located and if they are affiliated with a local Better Business Bureau.

Jim,

Best I can tell, they're based in northeast Pakistan. Sialkot, to be exact, way up near the disputed Kashmir border. It sounds like a nice place, with a long history. Birthplace of philosophers and poets. Alexander the Great conquered it, and it's been passed back and forth between empires ever since. Produced a lot of good silk in the old days. These days, it has about 3.5 million people. Not sure there's a better business bureau there, but who knows?

They actually write fairly well in English, but I had to giggle at this one: "We believe that when you buy something you need someone who is there at your side to advise you what's best for you." Yeah, I'll just pop over to Sialkot, if I have a question... ;)

I have the impression the "company" is one kid at a technical school in one of the suburbs. Doesn't mean he isn't honest, but I'm not sure there'd be much recourse if something went south on you... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Last edited:
With all the updating that MS does and, checks for legit copies everytime, I'd say you're better off paying the extra $$ for a guaranteed copy. Unless you are a hard core gamer, or digital arts pro this unit will last you yrs. Good luck!

Last edited:
Good info Bill. How do you find that stuff out?? Forget I asked if it's not legal. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Interesting that they say they ship USPS Priority mail. Wouldn't think they would have a local post office around the corner in Pakistan, either.:D
Vaughn, I noticed the word usage too. But could this be a foreigner, student or newly to the US who could even be a citizen, who just doesn't have the best command of the English language yet? I mean, I work with guys all day long who were born here that come off worse than what is on their website.:eek:
I agree that it just doesn't add up price wise. That's why I'm looking and asking questions before I leap. Guess in the end, Visa would cancel payment to them But I don't want to be purchasing stolen software either. Thanks for the input! Jim.

I've decided earlier this afternoon not to be the guinea pig on this one.:D I will order the OEM version from New Egg and rely on the software forums I visit when I have a question to bail me out of a problem. Thanks for the notes and information. Jim.

Well, I have said it before and will say it again: You better watch out when dealing with those Pakistanis.

But Mohammad, I talked about the philosophers and poets, the rich silks traditionally produced there, the city's long history!

Any place that produces a man like Faiz Ahmed Faiz has a lot going for it. Not only is his poetry famous, but he's widely respected in the Sufi community: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faiz_Ahmed_Faiz

Then there's Mohammad Iqbal, Amjad Islam Amjad, and Zafar Ali Khan. You'd be surprised how much Urdu poetry has influenced American poets. Ghazals are one of the most popular forms of the past twenty years. I myself have published Ghazals and Gacelas, so I owe those men, from that very city, a debt.

I offer, as proof, both a Ghazal *and* a Gacela, published this last year, in India: http://www.kritya.in/0601/En/poetry_at_our_time8.html

Please accept my sincere apologies. I intended no disrespect to anyone's homeland!

Thanks,

Bill

Bill, I know you didn't mean any disrespect. As far as the issue of buying merchandise goes, I would seriously advise everyone to be extra cautious when dealing with overseas vendors, particulary if they are located in Pakistan. I love Pakistan but I'd hate to see any financial harm come to any family members.

Now about the poetry. Wow! I had never read an english Ghazal before. Very nice. You incorporated all the strict rules of Ghazals (radif, maqta, matla, beher, kaafiya and takhallus) very well.

I haven't read Amjad Islam Amjad or Zafar Ali Khan. I have read some work of Iqbal and Faiz. BTW, Faiz is also famous for his political (communist) views. Him and Faraz are my favorites from Pakistan. Like Iqbal, Faiz's poetry has a deeper philosophy that is not easily understood by an average urdu speaking person. Whereas, Faraz is much easir to understand.

Some day, I will try and read the english translation of Faiz's work. I am biased in my view that it is impossible to capture the true essence of his work by translating it in another language. I could be wrong though.

Jim, Before buying from any on-line reseller, I usually check their BBB.org status and ratings as well. Need to check any complaints they've had as well to see what type of issues folks have had. I've started to deal with several that had good ratings, but the complaints were about warranty service and after sales support.

Some online resellers run under more than one website and that usually comes out on the BBB reports as the parent company is usually listed.