Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ShopNotes

Don Taylor is offline Former Member (by the member's request)

ShopNotes

You folks putting together a new shop. Have you seen the new issue of ShopNotes? Mine came today. Very Timely. I'll put this one to work!

DT

Gotta love the makeovers! Nothing more fun to look at than before and after shots. I don't subscribe to that one though... might have to pick it up - if you think of it, maybe let us know if there's enough meat in the articles to make it really useful?

Don Taylor is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Armstrong View Post
    if you think of it, maybe let us know if there's enough meat in the articles to make it really useful?
    Hi Tim,
    It has the entire set of plans to make that setup on the cover and then some.
    It even has the web page of the company that you can order the setup if you don't have time to build it.

http://www.garagestoragecabinets.com/index.html

I don't usually order magazines but this one is "For the shop." I've been happy with my first three issues.

DT

I get 'something' out of every issue. I like their flip up workbench in this one.I'll be modifying my workbench when I reassemble it, adding vices so I can use it more for knuckledragger work. ugh oogh. yes it is awfully tall for that purpose at 42", but that's just below elbow height, and just above waist height for me.
    -Ned

Shopnotes always has something very useful, even if it's just an idea or a technique.

I think the before looks like a REAL shop.

Shop Notes has become my favourite woodworking magazine. I don't subscribe to any, but Shop Notes is the one that I purchase most often.

Hm.., I wonder if my shop is ready for a makeover already.
    Last edited by Frank Pellow; 02-22-2007 at 02:48 PM.
    Cheers, Frank

Those are store-bought cabinets so I don't think you need to buy the issue to figure it out. They used wall cabinets for the lowers and cleated them to the wall.

The only special thing about that bench is the flip-up part of it. I really don't like the idea of it though. It just seems really flimsy to me unless you're doing real light work.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Bodenschatz View Post
    Those are store-bought cabinets so I don't think you need to buy the issue to figure it out. They used wall cabinets for the lowers and cleated them to the wall.

Sorry to hear that. It's kind of cheating for a woodworker to use store-bought cabinets in thier shop, isn't it?
    Last edited by Frank Pellow; 02-22-2007 at 03:54 PM. Reason: fix typos
    Cheers, Frank

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    On page 50 of this issue is a good explaination of hook angle for those who followed that thread.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward