ShopNotes

Don Taylor

Former Member (by the member's request)
You folks putting together a new shop. Have you seen the new issue of ShopNotes? Mine came today. Very Timely. I'll put this one to work!

Shopnotes001.jpg

DT

Gotta love the makeovers! Nothing more fun to look at than before and after shots. I don't subscribe to that one though... might have to pick it up - if you think of it, maybe let us know if there's enough meat in the articles to make it really useful?

if you think of it, maybe let us know if there's enough meat in the articles to make it really useful?

Hi Tim,
It has the entire set of plans to make that setup on the cover and then some.
:rofl: It even has the web page of the company that you can order the setup if you don't have time to build it.

http://www.garagestoragecabinets.com/index.html

I don't usually order magazines but this one is "For the shop." I've been happy with my first three issues.

DT

I get 'something' out of every issue. I like their flip up workbench in this one.I'll be modifying my workbench when I reassemble it, adding vices so I can use it more for knuckledragger work. ugh oogh. ;) yes it is awfully tall for that purpose at 42", but that's just below elbow height, and just above waist height for me.

Attachments

• right bench.jpg
    right bench.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 24
Shop Notes has become my favourite woodworking magazine. I don't subscribe to any, but Shop Notes is the one that I purchase most often.

Hm.., I wonder if my shop is ready for a makeover already.

Last edited:
Those are store-bought cabinets so I don't think you need to buy the issue to figure it out. They used wall cabinets for the lowers and cleated them to the wall.

The only special thing about that bench is the flip-up part of it. I really don't like the idea of it though. It just seems really flimsy to me unless you're doing real light work.

Sorry to hear that. :( It's kindof cheating for a woodworker to use store-bought cabinets in nthier shop, isn't it? :huh:

Yeah, they talk about that. I think they say you could build these for about $350 and buy them for around $750. Don't quote me on those numbers since I don't have the issue in front of me. It's a classic "build vs. buy" decision. I'd rather build something myself as well but you always have to take the time to build into consideration.

This is especially surprising coming from Shop Notes since they have really moved toward the "build" focus. Ad nauseum. For goodness sakes, they even want me to build a drum sander.

I was going to subscribe to Shop Notes a month or so ago but I looked at one at a book store and it did not seem to have much in it so I decided not to. Maybe I just looked at a bad issue. I don't know if I should try it out or not but some of you seem to think that it is really good.

Rob is right, when I thumbed through the magazine last night and made the post I actually didn't notice that there were no dimensions on the drawings. It wouldn’t matter much to me. I’d change them to suite me anyway. It is an illustrated parts breakdown just like any good wood working plan, just no dimensions. :rofl:

Looking closer, the actual cabinets are what they ordered, a box with shelves and doors. Not a problem for most of us. All of the additions this guy made to this setup have dimensions and a hardware list.

Each piece in the breakdown is lettered and there is a Materials and Hardware list on page 27 with all the dimensions. The write-up is geared to build all of the "additions." (The dimensions of the cabinets used in this feature are on page 27 under “Manufactured Cabinets”)

Here is the URL for the cutting diagram online.

http://www.shopnotes.com/files/issues/092/one-wall-workshop.pdf

Next time I'll look closer before I make a post. It happened to be just what I was needing and I thought "How many new guys are building a shop right now." :doh:

Don

I was going to subscribe to Shop Notes a month or so ago but I looked at one at a book store and it did not seem to have much in it so I decided not to. Maybe I just looked at a bad issue. I don't know if I should try it out or not but some of you seem to think that it is really good.

I looked at it for two years before I ordered it Allen. I always learned something. It's for building shop setups. This is only my third issue and I haven't been disappointed.

DT