Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need GPS purchase help

Need GPS purchase help

I have decided to buy a GPS. I have to travel this weekend so this would be a good time to get one. I went shopping tonight but now I'm dizzy from looking at all the different models and features. I think I want either a TomTom or Garmin brand.
    How important is lifetime map updates?
    How about traffic updates?
    Screen size?

I don't want too many bells and whistles...just good bang for the buck. I also don't want to buy a stripped down version then wished I had something else.

So please tell me what features you like or are important to you.
    It's not what you achieve in life...It's what you overcome!

Updates are important, get free ones if they offer them. I've had both TT and Garmin, both worked equally as well for me. If you're driving a truck/trailer or RV, some have the option to re-route you based on the type you're driving to make the trip easier (less scenic, but easier). The wider ones usually have a better screen for typing on when you need to.

I actually use my android phone now as my gps, don't have to carry both, it was free since I already had the phone, and free updates...even has voice navigation.

just my .02
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I have had a Garmin for 8 months or so, with no problems. I kinda wish I had purchased a more pricey model of theirs because after using a upper model, it seemed a lot faster than mine. That was nice because I was using it for delivery and doing a lot of address. Mine is fine for just traveling. I think the lifetime updates are important. I bought it after I bought the GPS. You can sometime get a better deal through Amazon or other places. You need to update about every four months or so, at lease I do.
    "We the People ......"

I don't believe there is much difference between brands.
    As said, the latest updates are important.
    But, when using it, remember that voice you hear is electronic, it is not from heaven.
    You must use your head and not follow blindly. Mine would take us down some old mule trails instead of the highway. Really.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Just to muddy the waters. You can buy software for a laptop and it comes with a GPS receiver that plugs into a USB port. I am using an older version of Deloreme, I use a laptop in my work so I just added a mount to the truck and use the laptop.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Mine would take us down some old mule trails instead of the highway. Really.
    Frank, You have to set it to automobile, not mule.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Tom, I have a Garmin Nuvi 1450. I've had it for about 14 months now. It has the 5" screen which I wanted, as a friend has a Garmin model 275 with a 3.5" screen.

The model I have allows for several different voices in English [Aussie as well as British] as well as several foreign languages such as Spanish, French, German etc. It also allows for many different vehicles to lead your way. Garmin has a bunch that can be downloaded also.

I'm very happy with the Garmin. Another friend has a Tom Tom. I didn't care for it as it seemed harder to program than the Garmin. Of course I am used to the Garmin.

I would think if you spent around $200 up to $250 you'd get a middle of the pack unit that you can be happy with.

One thing is they don't come with a lot of instructions. I had to learn with the help of a friend that had one and I used it quite extensively in friendly environs before I headed out into the unknown.

Good luck.

Karl

Personally, I prefer the user interface on the Garmin over the Tom Tom, although both will get you there. (Maybe not the ideal route, but you'll get there.)

Screen size is very important if you're driving. I've used small, medium and large screens. Small is dangerous. Large is best.

Updates are important, but not critical unless you are in an area with lots of new development, IMO. The GPS in my 2001 Lexus is using a database from 2000. In my travels around LA that's not been a big issue, but in other parts of the state it might be. (Like Darren, I also have GPS capability in my phone, so that's my backup in case my Lexus can't find someplace.)

Traffic info is very useful in the big cities, but I'm not sure if it'd worth the extra money if you're in a smaller town. If you spend much time in Indy or Chicago, it might be, though. I have free traffic info on my phone, so I use that.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I just bought one of these from Newegg.com. It's a refurb, but it looked brand new and has been working great.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-341-_-Product

The features I like is that it announces the road you need to turn on instead of saying "next left". It also has an FM transmitter so it can play mp3s thru your car radio, and then hold them to announce turns.

For $83, you get a $200 unit.

The fine print - it is called recertified, which I think is another name for refurbed, and it is a discontinued model. For my money, it was the biggest bang for my bucks.

I loved my tomtom. For years. Loved her so much, I actually named her: Mandy. After the name of the voice. She was good to me. Nothing could keep us apart. I loved her so much, I even used her when I was driving to the store.

Then, one day, something awful happened. I got my droid. It took me a while to figure out my new phone also has navigation. And traffic. And I could talk to her, and she knew where I wanted to go. She even showed me pictures of my destination.

For a while, I loved them both. I called the new girl Andy (like Mandy, but for android). Then one day, I was in a hurry, and still sleepy. So I just told Andy "Navigate to ... Starbucks." She found the closest one. Talked me right to it. Smoothly rerouted me around a traffic jam.

Poor Mandy. Now she sits in a dark glove compartment all day, every day, unused, forgotten, her battery dead, a sad, unwanted relic, dreaming of a better time...

Thanks,

Bill