Need GPS purchase help

Tom Baugues

I have decided to buy a GPS. I have to travel this weekend so this would be a good time to get one. I went shopping tonight but now I'm dizzy from looking at all the different models and features. I think I want either a TomTom or Garmin brand.
How important is lifetime map updates?
How about traffic updates?
Screen size?

I don't want too many bells and whistles...just good bang for the buck. I also don't want to buy a stripped down version then wished I had something else.

So please tell me what features you like or are important to you.

Updates are important, get free ones if they offer them. I've had both TT and Garmin, both worked equally as well for me. If you're driving a truck/trailer or RV, some have the option to re-route you based on the type you're driving to make the trip easier (less scenic, but easier). The wider ones usually have a better screen for typing on when you need to.

I actually use my android phone now as my gps, don't have to carry both, it was free since I already had the phone, and free updates...even has voice navigation.

just my .02 :wave:

I have had a Garmin for 8 months or so, with no problems. I kinda wish I had purchased a more pricey model of theirs because after using a upper model, it seemed a lot faster than mine. That was nice because I was using it for delivery and doing a lot of address. Mine is fine for just traveling. I think the lifetime updates are important. I bought it after I bought the GPS. You can sometime get a better deal through Amazon or other places. You need to update about every four months or so, at lease I do.

I don't believe there is much difference between brands.
As said, the latest updates are important.
But, when using it, remember that voice you hear is electronic, it is not from heaven.
You must use your head and not follow blindly. Mine would take us down some old mule trails instead of the highway. Really.

Just to muddy the waters. You can buy software for a laptop and it comes with a GPS receiver that plugs into a USB port. I am using an older version of Deloreme, I use a laptop in my work so I just added a mount to the truck and use the laptop.

Tom, I have a Garmin Nuvi 1450. I've had it for about 14 months now. It has the 5" screen which I wanted, as a friend has a Garmin model 275 with a 3.5" screen.

The model I have allows for several different voices in English [Aussie as well as British] as well as several foreign languages such as Spanish, French, German etc. It also allows for many different vehicles to lead your way. Garmin has a bunch that can be downloaded also.

I'm very happy with the Garmin. Another friend has a Tom Tom. I didn't care for it as it seemed harder to program than the Garmin.:huh: Of course I am used to the Garmin.:rolleyes:

I would think if you spent around $200 up to $250 you'd get a middle of the pack unit that you can be happy with.

One thing is they don't come with a lot of instructions. I had to learn with the help of a friend that had one and I used it quite extensively in friendly environs before I headed out into the unknown.

Good luck.:thumb:

Karl

Personally, I prefer the user interface on the Garmin over the Tom Tom, although both will get you there. (Maybe not the ideal route, but you'll get there.)

Screen size is very important if you're driving. I've used small, medium and large screens. Small is dangerous. Large is best.

Updates are important, but not critical unless you are in an area with lots of new development, IMO. The GPS in my 2001 Lexus is using a database from 2000. In my travels around LA that's not been a big issue, but in other parts of the state it might be. (Like Darren, I also have GPS capability in my phone, so that's my backup in case my Lexus can't find someplace.)

Traffic info is very useful in the big cities, but I'm not sure if it'd worth the extra money if you're in a smaller town. If you spend much time in Indy or Chicago, it might be, though. I have free traffic info on my phone, so I use that.

I just bought one of these from Newegg.com. It's a refurb, but it looked brand new and has been working great.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...8108341&cm_re=nuvi_750-_-58-108-341-_-Product

The features I like is that it announces the road you need to turn on instead of saying "next left". It also has an FM transmitter so it can play mp3s thru your car radio, and then hold them to announce turns.

For $83, you get a $200 unit.

The fine print - it is called recertified, which I think is another name for refurbed, and it is a discontinued model. For my money, it was the biggest bang for my bucks.

I loved my tomtom. For years. Loved her so much, I actually named her: Mandy. After the name of the voice. She was good to me. Nothing could keep us apart. I loved her so much, I even used her when I was driving to the store.

Then, one day, something awful happened. I got my droid. It took me a while to figure out my new phone also has navigation. And traffic. And I could talk to her, and she knew where I wanted to go. She even showed me pictures of my destination.

For a while, I loved them both. I called the new girl Andy (like Mandy, but for android). Then one day, I was in a hurry, and still sleepy. So I just told Andy "Navigate to ... Starbucks." She found the closest one. Talked me right to it. Smoothly rerouted me around a traffic jam.

Poor Mandy. Now she sits in a dark glove compartment all day, every day, unused, forgotten, her battery dead, a sad, unwanted relic, dreaming of a better time...

Thanks,

Bill

the tour dewood uses a garmin and has for several years and look where its taken us:) its easy to use and the only trouble i have had with it is the grand daughter lost the mounting bracket for it last week and now i need to borrow one for this years tour.. i have the updated maps but you can live with out them,, the one i have is the 255 wide screen and like vaughn said you dont want a small screen..and i know mine isnt large but its better than the small ones

I am looking at a TomTom XL 335LM with lifetime map updates. I found this at my local Sam's Club for $99.74. I think that sounds about right for me so I might have to stop back in tomorrow to pick it up....unless I change my mind....again. :rofl: :rofl:

Thank you all for your help.

I have a tom tom. I cannot find the model but it was a black friday model so was probably 40-50 bucks. I have tried to update it but they don't take. About 5-6 years ago the county upgraded its 911. Most of the places have 5 digit addresses and tom tom doesn't reconize them. Also used last week to find a customer who had live 8 yrs in West Des Moines. She said you probably won't find us beacause google didn't know where it was. I am able to get close in the county by dropping the last digit.

I've got a Magellen, not going to go out in the rain and check the model number, but they run most if not all their GPS's on windows mobile OS. I played with my uncles Garmin of same quality and the Garmin was easier to use and was not as buggy. Garmin will be my next choice if I don't chose to use my blackberry. My Magellen would lock up sometimes or just turn off for no reason. Kinda sucked when you were in a neighborhood looking for a customers house and you were still 5 blocks away in some maze a crazed, bordering on insane, developer designed.:D

Go with the Garmin or Tom Tom (get Mr. T's voice too!)

Brian

I am looking at a TomTom XL 335LM with lifetime map updates. I found this at my local Sam's Club for $99.74. I think that sounds about right for me so I might have to stop back in tomorrow to pick it up....unless I change my mind....again. :rofl: :rofl:

Thank you all for your help.

Personally, I think I'd try to spend the extra $30 for this one:

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod1110353

It doesn't come with the free lifetime updates (like I said, that hasn't been a big issue for me the with GPS in my Lexus), but it does have some features the TomTom doesn't. The bigger screen and auto re-routing are two that caught my attention. But then again, I'm a Garmin fan. ;)