Need GPS purchase help

I loved my tomtom. For years. ...
Poor Mandy. Now she sits in a dark glove compartment all day, every day, unused, forgotten, her battery dead, a sad, unwanted relic, dreaming of a better time...

You crack me up me...

I just use my little Garmin GPS 76csx. Hand held, does topo, does routing. The screen is small, but in color. No talking, just beeps. Works for travel as well as geo-caching. I love it... :thumb:

Poor Mandy. Now she sits in a dark glove compartment all day, every day, unused, forgotten, her battery dead, a sad, unwanted relic, dreaming of a better time...

You are cold and fickle soul, ;)

But don't you find the phone screen to be on the small size?

We have a widescreen Garmin and I like the screen size a lot.

the tour dewood uses a garmin and has for several years and look where its taken us:)

Larry I seem to recall that your Garmin left you high and dry when you crossed the border into Canada? Or have you fixed that? :rolleyes:

Our Garmin has both Canada and the US maps. I do wish it had free updates, but it doesn't. Last summer in New Brunswick we drove on a brand new highway and put up with a poor confused GPS for a half hour that thought we were driving over hill and dale and kept trying to get us out of the farmers fields and onto cross streets.

We do have the 't' model (Garmin Nuvi 265wt) which has free traffic alerts via FM. It is interesting to see it pop up the warnings about traffic slowdowns up ahead. Last summer we used that in Montreal to route around a traffic jam.

(At least, I think we did. We've had alerts on the screen before but this time the unit actually spoke up and warned us about "major" traffic problems ahead, so since we were in an unknown city we took it's advice and followed the alternate route. We never actually saw the jam.)

One last bit of advice, Tom, if you go Garmin, is to keep an eye out on the toll road settings. We leave it set to avoid toll, since there is this highway near Toronto that is toll that we always skip. The problem is that we forget about this setting, since it is always on. We were heading West into the US last winter and couldn't figure out why our GPS had gone insane -- it was trying to send up back East toward Niagara Falls and South around lake erie. No big deal, just an extra 8hrs out of our way. :dunno: Finally we remembered that we had the "avoid-toll" turned on, but of course the Detroit AND Port Huron border crossings are toll bridges. :doh:

Well, I decided on a TomTom model. Every salesperson I talked to told me that they own one but that they only have a "simple" one. They all said the same thing....it gets me to where I want to go. Several co-workers also had older simple models and thought they worked just fine. So I did not get the fancy schamsy model. I did get one with lifetime map updates though. So now I'm off the hook it up and see if I can learn how to use it.

Thank you everyone for your input. It did help me make the right decision.