Fun Day at the Range I hope

I got a call from the range officer at our Local IWLA who I spoke to many months ago and he would like me to come share about Muzzle loaders, and help some new guys out who want to learn. So I am hoping we get a good WARM day. I am looking forward to making the ole Smoke Pole do some barking. Now I need to find everything. :rofl: and make a new ram rod for the 54, Oh no, the 54 is still loaded :rofl:, now I can unload it ...at the range :rofl:

Last edited:
I got a call from the range officer at our Local IWLA who I spoke to many months ago and he would like me to come share about Muzzle loaders, and help some new guys out who want to learn. So I am hoping we get a good WARM day. I am looking forward to making the ole Smoke Pole do some barking. Now I need to find everything. :rofl: and make a new ram rod for the 54, Oh chit, the 54 is still loaded :rofl:, now I can unload it ...at the range :rofl:

I use a 1/2" Dowel on my 58, work great.

Sounds like a great time. A dowel should work well for the ram.

NO,no,no!!! :eek: Never use a dowel for ramrod. Very dangerous.
I had an article published on this subject last year. In short, today's dowels are either an import mystery wood or hickory/ash/whatever that is not cut with the grain. If a dowel-ramrod breaks while seating the ball the hand can come down on the broken end and suffer very serious injuries. The sharp end of broken hickory is very knife-like and that going through your hand or wrist could ruin your whole day.
I keep my good quality hickory rods aside for those times when I need to look 'authentic'. But otherwise I use synthetic rods for safety. My rods are Delrin. I used to make and sell rods made from Delrin and still have a good supply for my own use.

NO,no,no!!! :eek: Never use a dowel for ramrod. Very dangerous.
I had an article published on this subject last year. In short, today's dowels are either an import mystery wood or hickory/ash/whatever that is not cut with the grain. If a dowel-ramrod breaks while seating the ball the hand can come down on the broken end and suffer very serious injuries. The sharp end of broken hickory is very knife-like and that going through your hand or wrist could ruin your whole day.
I keep my good quality hickory rods aside for those times when I need to look 'authentic'. But otherwise I use synthetic rods for safety. My rods are Delrin. I used to make and sell rods made from Delrin and still have a good supply for my own use.

I stand corrected...:doh: Good info.

Frank I use only the top of the line dowels, Traditional.:thumb:

That's fine. I have no problem with that. In recent years the availability of propery cut hickory rods has gotten near nil. That is what mostly prompted me to go with stainless steel or Delrin for most of my shooting. At rendezvous and for demos I use my good hickory. All other shooting is the SS or Delrin.
BTW, I soak my new hickory rods in lemon oil for about a month before using. Mineral oil would probably work just as well. I'm not a believer in the old method of soaking in kerosene. Kero will dry out and lose it's lube qualities.

Frank I've never liked anything but wood. Every so often I will break a rod. I think in the last 30 years I've broken 3. Mostly my fault, sitting on them putting the gun away and hitting the rod on something. I am to couscous to break on in the gun. I also drill a small hole that will except a 6 penny nail to remove the rod if it ever dose get stuck. And as far as using my hand to bang one down , not happening here.

Truthfully, I don't recall ever breaking a rod. But, I'm still hincky about the prospect. On the range I like to use a tight ball and have to use grunt force effort to seat. That enhances the possibility of breaking a rod. For hunting I use a much looser ball/patch combo.
The loss of good quality hickory rods is what really prompted me to make this a cause celbre issue.