Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use a glue other that Titebond for segmented blanks?

Anyone use a glue other that Titebond for segmented blanks?

Seems like there should be a glue out there that sets up faster that Titebond, so I don't have to sit there holding those pieces together, while they bond....no?
    -Sue

If you're looking for the lowest price wood on the web, WWW.ThinBoards.com.

Specializing in wood under 3/4"...but we have some thicker stuff too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Nerlau View Post
    Seems like there should be a glue out there that sets up faster that Titebond, so I don't have to sit there holding those pieces together, while they bond....no?
    Sue,
    You can use a CA for the segments it will be faster setting than the titebond, but I'm not sure if it will hold through the stresses of turning...

I was watching a video last night in which the turner, and I'm sorry but I don't remember his name just now... will look for it and post later as we have to leave in few minutes for Dr. appointment.... he used the original Titebond and when he did his glue up, he put glue on both pieces, rubbed them together and then set them aside for a few minutes... he said it would set in just a few minutes for handling.. he did allow it to sit overnight before attempting to turn.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Sue, in my school shop and at home I use Elmer's wood glue. I glue up a bunch of segments at a time. Somedays I am in the creative mood and just enjoy cutting and putting them together. I glue both pieces and use masking tape as a portable vise. Set them aside and when the notion strikes another day, I will turn them. Sorry, no immediate satisfaction with my system for you.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

CA glue will not hold up as it is to brittle. I use Titebond III on the few I have did and sometimes it is to fast when getting things aligned and clamped. A friend of mine tried CA glue on a segmented piece and it exploded while turning. Even using Titebond I will let it set 24 hrs at a minimum.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I find with titebond III I only have to hold the parts in place for a few minutes. And blue painters masking tape is my friend.
    I would not put any glue up on the lathe for at least 24 hours.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

PVA

I use PVA works well sets in about 20mins I generally leave it over night

Years ago I read an article, actually a question that someone had asked in Fine Woodworking magazine I believe about a glue welder for the home workshop. I don't remember who answered the question but the jist of the answer was that a small glue welder would cost in the $60,000 range. He then went on to explain what it was and what it was for. Basically he explained that they were used in mass produced furniture factories primarily. Pieces would have the glue applied then assembled and then the welder was passed over the items. It kicked the glue right off. How it works is that it is basically a microwave device that when passed over the piece the molecules of glue are hyper activated by the microwaves and the glue sets. I think that is how it worked. Any way I wanted to try this but without spending $60,000. I did have a microwave that I keep in the shop and use for other purposes. At that time I was using a lot of UF 109 glue so I thought I would try it. I mixed some up and smeared it on a couple of small blocks,taped them together set the power level to around 4 and gave it a minute or so. I don't remember the exact power level or time set, you would have to experiment with it. It would probably have something to do with the mass of the object. Anyway it worked, kicked it right off. I know that I glued up another block later on that I turned on the lathe and it didn't fly apart. I tried this on a pva type glue as well and seem to remember that it either didn't work or not as well. I should try it on Titebond III as it seems to have similar properties to as UF109. I just haven't been in that big of a hurry to have things glued up anymore.
    I'm not recommending this as something to do but it is an avenue to explore. You're also not going to be able to glue up huge blocks and don't walk away and leave the microwave blasting along on a high setting. I recently showed a friend how to bend small pieces of wood using a microwave and he went home, put his piece in the kitchen microwave, didn't soak it turned the power to 10, time to 5 minutes and went out to his shop. He came back in after 2 or three minutes to a kitchen full of smoke. He was lucky, he just didn't use his head.

Just for clarity, Titebond (all flavors) is a PVA glue.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I realize Vaughn that Titebond is a pva glue but it seems to have some of the properties of the urea glues. I'll give it a shot tomorrow and see what happens.

Here is a pic. of the type of industrial wood welder the guy in Fine WW was talking about:

For more info about it:

http://www.workriteinc.com/products.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails large_machine_big.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Brian McMillan View Post
    I realize Vaughn that Titebond is a pva glue but it seems to have some of the properties of the urea glues. I'll give it a shot tomorrow and see what happens.

Here is a pic. of the type of industrial wood welder the guy in Fine WW was talking about:

For more info about it:

http://www.workriteinc.com/products.html
    I'll definitely be interested in seeing how your tests come out.

I'm pretty ignorant about glues...what are some of the differences between urea and PVA glues, and what are some of the urea properties in Titebond?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com