Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: can someone make this clear

can someone make this clear

lumber pricing and measurements-

IF Im purchasing rough lumber, and the BF are being calculated, is a board 5.5 counted as 5 inches wide or 6 inches wide?(or do you use the actual 5.5 inches to calculate)

Hmmm, can you provide the actual example? Lumber can be calculated in board feet; thickness x width x length in inches divided by 144. If it is milled lumber that falls outside of the 4/4, 5/4, 8/4, 12/4 type of designation . . . I just realized I am not sure of common practice in that situation. Someone else out there?

Possible example: 1 X 5.5 X 120 = 660, divided by 144 = 4.58 bf.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 03-15-2011 at 01:30 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

yes, thats how I calculate it, but seems there are dealers that pull lumber that is less than 6 inches, although close, and charge 6 inches rough prices.
    So a 1x6x96, is really 1x5.5x96, and wood that runs 10 a bf at 200 bf a 10% difference is alot of cash.
    Its one thing when my contractor guys just lines the boards up on the table and lays out close to 12 inches and charges me by foot since hes charging me half what I pay in a yard.
    But high priced yards I seem to have a problem with.
    with dimensional lumber I understand a 1x6 is really a 1x5.5, but in rough lumber?
    Last edited by allen levine; 03-15-2011 at 01:42 PM.

My locals charge by what it is. So 5.5 is just that. You are always going to get taken a little here and a little there. Next time you might come out on the plus side. Regardless, still better deal then buying it ready to go.
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you donít know what tool to buy next, then you probably donít need it yet.

I dont expect to be taken at all.

I think it depends on who you're dealing with. My local sawyer typically charges me less than actual. A board that's 8 1/2 feet long is charged at 8 feet.

OTOH, my understanding of most lumber yards is that they round upwards. Remember a 1 x 6 is really just 5.25" wide. If you're paying $10 a bd ft, you might want to discuss it with the vendor. Like gas costing $3.69.9 a gallon, it might just be an added cost that the vendor tries to hide.

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    lumber pricing and measurements-

IF Im purchasing rough lumber, and the BF are being calculated, is a board 5.5 counted as 5 inches wide or 6 inches wide?(or do you use the actual 5.5 inches to calculate)

In my limited experience I have found that most places round. Some round up , some round down , and very few charge the exact fractional inch.
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    I dont expect to be taken at all.
    I totally understand that Allen. I think it is just the natural of the game somewhat. Even though we have the equipment to machine the stock the way we want it, we are still at the mercy of the individual selling it.
    A $100 pile of red oak can be 2 different sizes depending on the mood of the seller. If you have a board that has edge damage, it might be free. Same goes for broken boards. I have also brought home a lot of yard scraps, too small for them to fool with, for little or nothing.

Here back I bought some 8/4 red oak and a couple boards. Pretty sure I got burnt a little. Looking back on the whole experience, I think I still am running about even.
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you donít know what tool to buy next, then you probably donít need it yet.

All of you guys back east are in hardwood heaven compared to out here.

We don't have the options of going to get green wood from a local sawyer, or harvesting our own wood off of our woodlots. It's the borg for WAY overpriced 'hardwood' or the real lumber yards who I think have their stock prices confused with those of precious metals and jewels.

I'm used to rounding up on lumber, but they don't do it by the inch. They usually lay all the wood out and measure, round up to the nearest bd ft for the whole lot. Never seen each board rounded.

There is another part to this discussion - green vs dry. There's a lot of stuff on the internet on different and evolving lumber measurements over the years from wet size, dry size, estimated changes while drying. It was more confusing than I really wanted to read up on, so I gave up and just make sure I know how they measure up front to compare prices.