New shaving horse

ken werner

Well, a friend of my wife has been teaching Shelley how to do basketry. Turns out there are some steps in the process for which a shaving horse is great to use. So I offered to make a horse for Shelley's friend. Shelley can use mine any time she likes.

I used some leftover 2x10, and the legs are ash I made into billets several years ago, they have air dried in my kiln [attic] for years. Anyway, it's one of those legs that attacked me in my accident post a few days back.
faceshield.jpg

With my new face shield firmly in place, a sharpened gouge, very firm grip with head and tailstock, and a much slower speed, I finished the legs today. Well I couldn't stop there.

So here are images of the new baby, along with old grandpa. Inspiration for design came mostly from Drew Langsner's excellent book, The Chairmaker's Workshop, which is a real neander gem. But I adapted the length, made it with 3 legs, and varied the sizes of most parts.

IMG_7219.jpg

IMG_7217.jpg

IMG_7215.jpg

That's quite spiffy Ken! :thumb: :thumb:

Does the round knob on the side control the pivot point for the hookamajoob, er, whatever you call the thing you put your feet on and push with?

Thanks Brent. There are 3 holes in the swing arm, and the knob shown is attached to a 3/8" rod that passes thru the ramp and the swing arm to adjust for clamping range.

I like the rustic charm of the old one for sure.

That new one really has quite the refined look to it. :thumb:

Very fine lookin' shaving horse there. :thumb:
I would stain to give and 'old' look to it.
Be very careful in use. My half-brother had a terrible accident with his. :rofl:
(and apologies to Roy Underhill)

Frank, I have a huge drawknife that I take down from the wall and use the same joke on people. You should see their faces drop.

Anyway, this was a nice project. Other than turning the legs, which took me longer because of a detour, the whole thing went together in 1 day. I'll be happy to offer my help to anyone who wants to make one.